Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Very disapointed,
It was said that the difference between Zx and Z in the calipers was the width so the Z disc had to be changed or use a 79-83 toyota caliper.
But the ZX could use the later caliper.
Not true, the caliper does not fit on ZX, the ZX caliper has a base in which the piston bolts, so the caliper has two separate parts. not so on the Toyota caliper.
Very sad,
As my wife sugested...get a Hyundai Tiburon for a change...
Very Sad Danilo...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Man, you'd take a crappy 4 banger FWD over a true sports car? The ZX has 4 wheel discs that aren't that bad from the factory. True that the sliding calipers don't have the rigidity of the fixed ones, and the rotors aren't huge, but you have vented fronts. I looked at and compared alot of sports cars before buying my first Z and I've never regreted my descision. All things considered, I'd take the Z anyday.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: 4x4 Calipers not for ZX </b>

You're kidding, right? I mean that you'd actually consider another car just because the Toyota calipers won't fit your ZX. I agree with Fishbine on this one. My '82 ZX Turbo stops just fine with a clean system, trued rotors, rebuilt calipers and new pads. If you gotta have the trick stuff, Wilwood and probably a half-dozen other companies can set you up with killer high-tech vented brakes and multi-pad calipers that will put you through the windshield every time you stomp on the pedal. Figure about $800-$900 per end.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: 4x4 Calipers not for ZX </b>

Do you want to see a high performance formula 1 braking system. Take a look at the tiburon. You will then appreciate your z. Just upgrade your pads.

Hope this helps in not buying a worthless piece of crap.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I know it's cool to say that your car has 4 Piston brakes that you figured how to put on, but it is not the only way to improve brake performance - both stopping distance and fade resistance. The time and effort required is actually much less than doing a brake caliper swap.

Get some quality performance pads for all 4 corners of your ZX. Porterfield Racing, Ferodo (sp), PowerPads, or M252 pads from Motorsport Auto. Look for the largest coefficient of friction to increase stopping power. Stock type pads have coefficients of friction sometimes less than .4, PowerPads claim .485. This can make a big difference in the amount of pedal force required for any stop.

All of these performance type pads should greately increase your fade resistance if you are actually having fade problems.

All of these pads probably are rougher on the rotors and will cause accellerated rotor wear. If you use Porterfield or any other mfr that has real race pads make sure you get street compatable pads. Real race pads won't stop you b4 you hit that school bus on the first stop on a cold morning 'cause they have to be warmed up to a pretty darn hot temp before they start grabbing - like wet disks on a motorcycle in the rain.

tomh

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have never read that you could swap them onto...

a ZX. I have had people ask, but noone I know has ever tried, which lead me to believe that it wasn't do-able. Sorry, but you still could upgrade pads, fluid and ducting... and why not throw in a wilwood bias adjuster???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.