ZCar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 Convertible NA. The car is pristine and has been well cared for. I do know for a fact that the timing belt has not been changed. Do I need to change it or not. I fell like this is insurance if I change it, but I also do want to through money out if it doesn't need to be changed. If I do need to change it, what is the best aftermarket brand? I want to say Gates, but I haven't seen any real good reviews on them specifically.

Any info would be great

·
Registered
266 Posts
My 90NA and the 93 NA FSM does not specify a time limit for the timing belt only "Note 4 replace at 105K miles or 168 000 km"

If it was me, I'd replace it if its 28 years old. If not at least remove the drivers side TB cover and inspect the condition of the belt to make sure its still flexible and not crusty and cracked.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Z shop here in Nashville (Crawford Z Car Service, in business since the late 70s) services my 95 TT, and 71 240Z. They recently replaced a 9 year old timing belt with only 11k miles since replacement by the previous owner.

Even though Nissan recommends more ofter (see below), they advised that 10 years OR 60k miles is the absolute maximum. I considered purchasing a 96 model that still had the original timing belt in 2017, and was advised that a test drive might not be a good idea, and driving the car home if purchased (650 miles) was out of the question until the belt, etc. was replaced. The owner subsequently did so in order to be able to sell the car.

There are actually two forms of the Timing Belt service: the 60,000 mile timing belt replacement and the 120,000 mile replacement. The FSM recommends replacing the belt every 60k or 48 months, whichever comes first. Because the related components (like the idler pulleys) are so vital in maintaining engine health, it's highly recommended to just do a complete 120k service instead of the basic 60k. Other components, like the water pump and thermostat, are not necessary to maintaining timing belt functionality obviously. However, replacing these components is most easily performed while the engine is dismantled for the timing belt service, so it's the perfect time to replace them.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,338 Posts
There are a number of engines which require the same teardown for belt replacement and water pump replacement. It only makes sense to do them together. Idler pulleys may or may not be as involved to replace.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Z shop here in Nashville (Crawford Z Car Service, in business since the late 70s) services my 95 TT, and 71 240Z. They recently replaced a 9 year old timing belt with only 11k miles since replacement by the previous owner.

Even though Nissan recommends more ofter (see below), they advised that 10 years OR 60k miles is the absolute maximum. I considered purchasing a 96 model that still had the original timing belt in 2017, and was advised that a test drive might not be a good idea, and driving the car home if purchased (650 miles) was out of the question until the belt, etc. was replaced. The owner subsequently did so in order to be able to sell the car.

There are actually two forms of the Timing Belt service: the 60,000 mile timing belt replacement and the 120,000 mile replacement. The FSM recommends replacing the belt every 60k or 48 months, whichever comes first. Because the related components (like the idler pulleys) are so vital in maintaining engine health, it's highly recommended to just do a complete 120k service instead of the basic 60k. Other components, like the water pump and thermostat, are not necessary to maintaining timing belt functionality obviously. However, replacing these components is most easily performed while the engine is dismantled for the timing belt service, so it's the perfect time to replace them.
Can you show me where in the FSM that says "or 48 months, whichever comes first."?

I have 3 FSM 1990,1991 and a 1994, None of the say that, only the mileage recommendations.

I'm not saying not to do it, just wondering where you read it? other than the Z32 wiki that someone wrote.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I quoted the WIKI for convenience, as it came up.

It seems the actual recommended interval is 105 k for NA, 60k for turbos.

BTW... see this Motor Trend article which also states 48 months or 60k miles:
Quote from article:
Avoid
Any car that's overdue for a timing belt change. The service interval is every 60,000 miles or
48 months. The VG30 is an interference engine, so if the timing belt snaps, the motor is toast.

Bottom line, if yours is actually from 93, it needs replacing now, just as I had the one in mine replaced.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Look at it as similar to tires ... they're both rubber .... tires are recommended to be replaced at no more than seven years after date of manufacture.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided to be smart. I got a Gates Kevlar belt. Hopefully I won’t have to change it for a long while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 93 Convertible NA. The car is pristine and has been well cared for. I do know for a fact that the timing belt has not been changed. Do I need to change it or not. I fell like this is insurance if I change it, but I also do want to through money out if it doesn't need to be changed. If I do need to change it, what is the best aftermarket brand? I want to say Gates, but I haven't seen any real good reviews on them specifically.

Any info would be great
aAbsolutely change it. Old age has probably rotted it away. Don't take a chance. Also change the water pump as long as your have the front of the engine apart anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts