ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will be using 480-290 cam someone told me the mikunis 44s was to much i should use 40s what is your advise and how much differenc between the 2 sets and can you lighten a 70 model flywheel and get close to the same results as 10lb flywheel thanks dan

·
Registered
482 Posts
> i will be using 480-290 cam someone told me
> the mikunis 44s was to much i should use 40s
> what is your advise and how much differenc
> between the 2 sets and can you lighten a 70
> model flywheel and get close to the same
> results as 10lb flywheel thanks dan

Not necessarily. What you need to be concerned with is choke size (main venturi) rather than the carb butterfly size. A 44 Mikuni just has 4mm larger butterfly valves than a 40 Mikuni. All the chokes in Weber/Mikuni's are changeable. For my 45mm Webers, I can get a wide variety of chokes. Although you want to try and keep the carb size as close to the choke size to provide the best mixture. i.e. If you're running 30 chokes, a 40 weber/mikuni is best, while a 45 works almost as good.

The reason I bought the 45, is because I can run a slightly larger choke (36mm) with no problem. If you're running a L24 with that cam, then I suggest a 30-32mm Choke. If you are running a L28 with the cam, then a 34-38mm choke with 160-180 Mains would work great. This will allow you to rev up to 8K with NO problem. The larger the choke size, the more low speed driveability suffers. Large chokes flow alot of air at high speed, but at low engine speeds, you will need a very rich idle jet to make up for a lack of air velocity.

You also need to be concerned about air filters. There isn't much room to put them on. And the K&N filters are very restrictive, as they almost sit right on top of the velocity stack. I run ITG filters. They are a full foam, top and sides, so there is minimal restriction. They can be cleaned and re-used, just like K&N. They are a little more expensive thought. I actually think Motorsports Auto sells them.

Early 240Z, 70-71 had 18?lb flywheels stock. I would say taking it down to 12-14 is about the limit. Remember all this removed material will make the flywheel absorb less heat, which won't be good for a hot clutch!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> i will be using 480-290 cam someone told me
> the mikunis 44s was to much i should use 40s
> what is your advise and how much differenc
> between the 2 sets and can you lighten a 70
> model flywheel and get close to the same
> results as 10lb flywheel thanks dan
I run 44's on my bored out L28. My cam specs are .495 lift, 290 degress dur. Plenty of fuel and easy to tune

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.