ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, whats the skinny on 411 gears? i here they are good for getting out of the hole when drag racing. I want to know are 411 gears a good idea for a drag car that would still see the streets on occasion? also a question on ignition. which after market system would work good on a slightly modified drag z? i was considering a msd sport compact ignition. also would a 2 step combined with ignition and a line lock make much of a diffrence? is it worth the money?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
As for the 411 gears, it really depends on what transmission you're running. I'm using a late 280ZX 5-speed, and it matches up very well with the 411 for daily driving. It should work well with the early 5-speed too, though revs on the highway would be higher. It seems like using one with a 4-speed would be hard on the highway.

Unless you're planning on changing your tranny also, I'd suggest taking the RPM you run now on the highway, divide it by the diff ratio you have now (such as 3.54) then multiply by 4.11. Are you comfortable driving at that RPM for extended periods? If so, go for it. If not, look into 3.9 or 3.7.

·
Registered
820 Posts
you can get a 411 diff from a 200sx turbo. did you know that? ive seen some of them down at the junkyard. there is one down at the yard close to me but i drive freeway a lot and id ruin my engine. they are pretty bad though. later

david karey
so cal z prez

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently had a test drive in a guys 240Z. He had a 5 speed with the 411 gears. It was the hottest Z I've driven. He had a Motorsport cam in it (1 stage up from street - not too radical), electronic ignition, headers, performance exhaust & finely tuned SU carbs. Very strong off the line & extremely quick on the highway. Really surprising performance for an essentially stock car - no special work done on the block at all & all the parts are normal aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. im running the original tranny out of an 80 280zx! so are you guys saying 411 gears matched with an 80 280zx tranny is streetable?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Im running Torsen Gleason 411s w/ limited slip. I have a 5 speed out of a 85zx. I like this combo a lot. It is very quick. It jumps out of the hole super fast. I had to run the solid diff mount and have had a problem with the driveshaft bolts staying tight but other than that its great. it sits at about 3900rpms at freeway cruzin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.