ZCar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fyi, I am second owner of this z. I bought in 1988 with 80,000 miles on odometer. I have since put on 320,000 miles. Odom just turned 400,000 miles. Auto tranny has never been touched. I had a new Nissan engine installed in 1994. So this engine has 180,000 miles. I currently am getting 155 psi in each cylinder. I think that's about 90% of new. Just passed my CA smog. People luv Z's. Yes, it's worth it to restore. Yes, it's been in the shop many times but no single cost has been too great. I have no plans to sell it. Happy trails.
Speedometer Odometer Gauge Motor vehicle Tachometer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats!

May I ask why you replaced the original engine? It's not uncommon for these super well made motors (if taken care of) to last several hundred thousand miles if not more. at any rate, enjoy your Z and never sell it.

Cheers,

Bon
Good question. Around the 220,000 mark, one cylinder had low compression. I had the engine rebuilt. New rings, ect. Thought I was set for many miles. Driving back to CA from the east coast my engine gave out. A small pressure valve broke and was displacing my engine oil with transmission fluid. Eventually engine died. Engine rebuild warranty did not cover the valve failure. I was fortunate to find a new Nissan L6 in 1994. (Nissan had manufactured spare engines). I've always used synthetic oil (Mobil 1) that probably helped with engine long life. Z's are not only a trophy car but they can be extremely reliable.😊
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Water Car

1 - 2 of 2 Posts