ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Two diff readings from same carb=bent shaft?
> If so, can it be tweaked, or is replacement
> necessary?

Replacement is necessary I'm afraid. Had the same problem with a Mikuni. The trouble is the prgression holes are so darn close to off throttle that it's almost impossible to get it right by tweeking them and still get it to sync worth a darn. This is a big reason why it's so critical to get the wide open throttle set right on these carbs, people like to jam the gas and put pressure on the shafts if not given the proper adjustment. I always try to add a few thousands of a inch free play between full throttle and fully opened carb to avoid this.
It's pretty tricky to put the shafts in and get the throttle plates in right and making sure you spike the plate screws properly so I recomend sending it off to have done by a professional but if you have enough patience, a steady hand and a manual(not really needed but helps for tips) you can try it if you want. I did my mikuni's and it's not real hard, just easy to get the plates off when tightening the screws to the plates. I also made a tool to crimp the plate screws, you will def. need new screws each time you mess with them so if you do want to do it I'd recomend getting a few extra if this is your first time doing it.
Good luck...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Two diff readings from same carb=bent shaft?
> If so, can it be tweaked, or is replacement
> necessary?

Replacement is necessary I'm afraid. Had the same problem with a Mikuni. The trouble is the prgression holes are so darn close to off throttle that it's almost impossible to get it right by tweeking them and still get it to sync worth a darn. This is a big reason why it's so critical to get the wide open throttle set right on these carbs, people like to jam the gas and put pressure on the shafts if not given the proper adjustment. I always try to add a few thousands of a inch free play between full throttle and fully opened carb to avoid this.
It's pretty tricky to put the shafts in and get the throttle plates in right and making sure you spike the plate screws properly so I recomend sending it off to have done by a professional but if you have enough patience, a steady hand and a manual(not really needed but helps for tips) you can try it if you want. I did my mikuni's and it's not real hard, just easy to get the plates off when tightening the screws to the plates. I also made a tool to crimp the plate screws, you will def. need new screws each time you mess with them so if you do want to do it I'd recomend getting a few extra if this is your first time doing it.
A note, are you checking by airflow or did you take the carb off to take a good look at it? Are you going by setting the idle screws the same turns and just using a airflow meter? Make sure you check out the idle mixture screws to see if they have been damaged by over tightened. I would pull the carb off to really make sure the shaft is bent.
Good luck...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.