ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are still any 4 valve L series heads around? I think they were on the high performance version of the JDM 240Z. It was an L20 DOHC engine that put out 150. Would this head be compatible with the L28E(T)???
Just wondering.

Thanks,
Los

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Hi RunNE1.
Yes I know where lots of 'em are........in Australia !!! Those in Oz got the really good engines from Nissan. I recently purchased five 4valve heads and had 'em Air shipped to the states for just under 450dollars. Get back to me in a month and maybe I'll sell you one . shane-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Shane,

I'd definitely be interested in buying one from you...I think the car was called the fairlady Z-432. Is this the the type of car the heads came from???

Thanks,
Los

·
Premium Member
40,992 Posts
Urban Legend

Sorry, guys. There are only TWO heads with four valves that fitted to the L-Series block PERIOD.
One was available from O.S. Gikken in Japan, and is around (or was) $24,000. When compared to a properly-ported non-crossflow head, it was not competetive.

One was a prototype, never completed. Theis was the "Paeco-Goertz" Casted head. It recently surfaced at a Swap Meet in SanDiego, and was purchased, along with tooling and blueprints by a gent living in SoCal. Not me, I'm sad to say...

The Nissan Crossflow head had about 5% more HP than stock non-crossflow. Far from the "200HP" Benchracing figure claimed above. This advantage carried all the way through including porting so at terminal development, it would produce about 5% more than a similarly-prepared non-crossflow head.

As for the S-20 engine (used in the Fairlady 432 and Skyline GTR from 69-73) it was a totally different block, and not compatible with the L-Series. It was dropped after Nissan realized they DIDN'T NEED A DOHC to make the power to be competetive.

Any current DOHC engines are most likely from the RB-Series engines, a development and next generation of the L-Block. Not compatible.

I mean, you can make anything fit on anything else, but why?
Check the archives, there's this info posted over and over, and over...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.