ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the store waiting for my girl friend to get done shopping and i was reading a magazine. they had SUPER STREET, SPORT COMPACT CAR, ECT...

I forgot which one it was but they had pictures and an article on thier project 350Z. they took a stock 350Z and totally striped the interior except for the drivers seat, stearing wheel, and some gauges they bolted onto the frame. you should have seen the pile of interior they had after the strip. it was huge! in stock form the Z ran a 13 second 1/4! with nothing but weight reduction. it was ugly as **** inside but hey... one second is one second. if i was a rich guy that could afford to make a 350Z a race car i would do it, and i would daily drive it. who needs all that leather, and plastic...

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Re: 350Z is striped and loses enough weight to run a 13 second 1

how much weight did they shed? Yeah weight reduction can be quite beneficial in the 1/4.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Yea weight reduction is big.. Had an 81 datsun pu lowered and all chopped to ****. No dash, no brake booster no heater, nothing but door skins, plexi windows, plastic bucket seats, no rear cab below the window, and no front bed or tailgate. Weighed under 2000lbs. wet
LZ22 w/ cam header and dual mikunis. It could eat Iroc Zs up till the carbs
got in front of the fuel pump. They were always pretty pissed by the time they cought me. Scarrier than **** on the freeway though. Like being in a aluminum can w/ 18 wheelers all around. Still miss the **** thing. Alot of fun, but it had no business on the street. Autocross only......

·
Registered
13,644 Posts

They shed 600 lbs. They put on a carbon fiber hatch and took out the windows. It was a pretty cool article, but essentially they were taking weight off of an already nose-heavy car. I believe it screwed up the weight distribution pretty badly.

·
Registered
15,301 Posts

Another reason to shave your body and drive naked!!!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts

If all you want to do is run the 1/4 in low 12's you don't need to waste big bux and ruin a nice car like those magazine morons; almost any old jacked up POS 'Vette will do it.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

yea but who wants a vette that runs 12's when you can have a z that runs 12's.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

The car is supposed to be a drift machine eventually, and yes it is nose-heavy by a huge margin. Id look to see this car in the future with something like an SR20DET to help alleviate the weight problem, seeing as they are just going to be lighting the tires up and pitching it sideways.

The drag strip numbers are just for anyone whos interested, they didnt set out to make a quarter mile monster, just to lighten the car and see what impact it had on performance.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

Ok. A stripped stock 350Z runs 13s in the 1/4. Big whoop. The car already runs 14.1 stock (one occasion it ran 13.7) so basically the car was already knocking on 13's door. So it's no surprise that the car that had weight taken off will run the 13s.

You say you would daily drive it. I would never daily drive a stripped out car. That would be stupid. I don't know about you, but I like my creature comforts. If I'm going to strip a car, it will be a track driven car only.

·
Registered
13,644 Posts

clutchman - If you want to see one with an SR20 then go pick up the new Modified Mag.

You can't really daily drive a car that doesn't have windows...

·
Registered
14,442 Posts
unbelievable...

if i was a rich man,i sure as **** wouldnt drive a stripped down 350Z.
so some riceboy mag decided to take a brand new car and gut it...we should all celebrate.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Who care if you're into the 13's the inside will look like ****. Like being in a rock band... people who drive sports cars want the respect of chicks. Don't deny it... that is (even for you married guys) what it's all about. Expressing your ego through a machine.

Strip out a 350, the only person that will cream over that is another dude... enough said.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts

Not all buy sports cars want it for 'the chicks'. Some enjoy mastering and pushing a machine to its limits. I'd strip out a car if I wanted it soley for performance, but considering resale, functionability, and about 100,000 other variables, a brand new car isn't what I'd pick.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts

yeah i wouldnt kill the car by stripping it for only a crapy 13 second pass?
Stock z32's and 350's can pull 13.7's with a good driver.

·
Registered
644 Posts

This reminds me of that article on modifying a 16 second car to run 14 seconds without spending a dime. Here's the link for those of you unfamiliar:

<http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24959>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts

Heheh i bet you could do that choping technique to a stock 350 and get it to do 11's

·
Registered
1,910 Posts

I say the 350 could probably run in the 13's if all you did was take off those overweight wheels and tires and put on smaller ones, like 195's on 14" wheels. Big F'ing deal. Who'd want that? Not hoopty enough.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts

na man, strip it down to the skeleton baby! instant 11's to rival an enzo!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

an enzo cost a million bucks..my z cost 2k..I boned a gal in my Z back a few years ago...she was young, i'd say 19, and had one of those perfect ice skater bodies...ahhhhh memories...i love my Z and she did too:) LOL Now i like to get groceries and take my daughters to school and such in my 280z

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.