ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a friend that knows a guy who is doing the conversion for money. What you need is a 300ZX Turbo Computer(85-88) and the 300ZX Turbo Air Mass Sensor. This is what he does, he rewires the internals of a 300ZXT computer. With this rewiring the rev limiter is diabled :) He will rewire the 300ZXT computer for $150 and will include the instructions dor modifying your existing 280ZXT wiring harness and components. For $350 he will get you the rewired 300ZXT computer and the 300ZXT Air Mass Sensor and instructions on how to modify your existing 280ZXT harness and components. For $400 he will include an already modified harness in addition to all the other stuff. I have not done this conversion, nor do I know how to do it. I just thought I'd pass on the info if anyone was interested. Contact me if anyone is interested. BTW you cannot use a 280Z or 280ZX harness, you need to have and ECCS(280ZXT) as far as I understand. Anyway I just thought I'd post the info for anyone who may be interested since stew or whomever posted that half assed tease of a post. Contact me if anyone is interested in paying(I am still using the stock flapper setup).
Later,
Tim Deesen
71' 240ZT
73' 240ZT(summer project)
CA "TS 240ZT"

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>jim wolf does this>>>>>>>&

needed parts: 84 300zx,ecu,mass air sensor, degree wheel out of the distributer, 83280zx wiring harness, the only mod to the harness is the plug that would go to the air mass sensor, ( you move a wire) jim wolf reprograms the ecu(600) last i checked. get the upgraded turbo, jim wolf has 2, 350bhp, and 425bhp,
also needed are larger injectors,(jim can supply)for 425 bhp a larger fuel pump is needed, for either mods an adjustable fuel press reg is needed.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: jim wolf does this>>>>>>>

yeah jim wolf rewires and reprograms/reburns the computer as well for whatever different setup you are trying to run. I would be kind of interested in finding out hows the chips or BIOS or what ever it is is reburned. Are you sure you can use a normally aspirated wiring harness. There is a difference between the ECS and the ECCS systems I believe. I am pretty sure you need the 280ZXT harness. Also if you are paying 600 plus the cost of parts doesn't that get kinda expensive? Seems like if you are gonna spend that kinda dough you should go for a TEC or SDS (I would). Actually I have been thinking about the SDS or TEC solution a lot lately. Just some thoughts
Later,
Tim Deesen

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: jim wolf does this>>>>>>>

Interesting post, but there still seems to be a bit of uncertainty about the exact combination and what is actually done to make it work.

As a reminder, if anyone is interested in this setup, there is a complete Jim Wolf setup for sale here in Orlando. It includes the ECU, Mass Air, harness and modified distributor. It is currently in a 240Z that runs low 12's on street tires.

Scottie

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<b>How about this guys!!!</b>

I have been interested in this for quite some time . Now correct me if I'm wrong but I think that Nissan engineers did not do alot of changing to the engine managment system . Now lets break this down in parts so we can shed some light on the subject .

What we need for proper engine management
1) air flow detection
-this is a simple matter of wire tracing on a schematic of the 300ZXT
2) crank angle
- the crank angle is detected by a crank angle sensor which is located in the distributor .This sensor must be fitted into the 280 dist and wired back to 300 ecu
3) Knock circuit
-I bet there the same
4) O2 sensor
-same I guessing
5) Throttle position
-might be different probably the same
6) Cylinder Temp sensor
-same
7) Ignition Coil transistor
-same
8) EGR
-who cares
9) cold start
-???
10) injectors
- same might be bigger but still work
11) idle speed
-this is something I haven't looked at yet

As you can see most of the sensors are the same if you get both wiring diagrams you could do the wiring yourself . I personally would not spend 600 on Jim Wolf however I would go to the junk yard to get MAF . The throttle response would be worth it and reduction in turbo lag . My nissan will let photocopy and of their wiring diagrams, and I may just get those 300 parts . I want to get my 81 ZXT motor going before any mods .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.