ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question, but can the electrical side mirrors be taken apart to fix? Also, they are supposed to be heated. What does this mean? And how would I know this feature works? I know some of u, if not all, will say "just get another one". Don't worry, I just want to know if they can be taken apart. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
yes you can take them apart. What needs fixing on yours? They are heated to keep the ice and fog off of them. I believe there is a section in the FSM about checking the mirrors.

If some of the internals are broken on you mirror. I have one that I would give you (less shipping) It's a drivers side electic defog one. The mirror is broken, as is the outside case; but everything works on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey domdogg. What does FSM stand for? If the mirrors can be taken apart, do you know how? And yes, if they can be taken apart, I would be interested in your broken side mirror. Let me have your phone number via here, or at [email protected] to make arrangements. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
FSM = FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Fiche lists a part number for the replacement glass for the SS on this page:
http://z31.com/fiche/7/d12.gif

The Nissan practice is to replace the whole mirror assembly on the heated mirrors since replacing the glass on heated mirrors requires soldering the elements to the wiring in the mirror.

Canadian models are different. They also have headlight washers. US models don't.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wish I didn't have that stuff, they make a special edition with a unch of light weight stuff and then put heated mirrors on it. doesn't make much sense to me.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
the heater elements and switch and wires probably added 5 ounces. The headlight washer ads probably 5lbs. Add in the few ounces of water it holds and you're probably looking at under 10lbs when it's filled. Not really a big deal at that point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so, only Canadian SS's have heated mirrors? And also the ones which the factory replaced? It wouldn't make much sense to put a heated mirror, where there is no wiring to accomodate the mirror. But I could be WRONG.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
my american SS doesnt have heated mirrors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.