ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm working on building a quick, fun, and relatively cheap 2.8l I6 in my 81 280zx.

Goal: 275-300hp It has the L28e Non-turbo and I'm wondering what I would need to reach this kind of goal? If you don't feel like typing out a whole lot, just a few tips/warnings/precautions would be great.

I want to turbo it, so other than the Exhaust Turbo Manifold out of a L28et, what else would I NEED from the L28et? ex. Would i Need the oil pump or would the stock one be sufficient for 300 ish hp?
I am looking into putting a 04-07 Holset cummins turbo into it because they bolt right onto the L28et manifold and they are relativity cheap. I have heard many success stories with this turbo so bare with me. Another question is what would work to get the intake/intercooler piping to fit onto the turbo? would i have to fab my own? could you use an adapter of some sort?

I guess I'll make a list of parts I know I need so I don't waste your time by telling me what I already know.

- Turbo, Turbo exhaust manifold, intercooler, piping, Bov
- Megasquirt ECU
- bigger/beefier clutch
- higher flow fuel pump
- Downpipe
-Oil in & dump lines
-Oil T from pressure sensor
-Intake J-Pipe
-Oil pan
-Injectors
- gauges for monitoring everything (AFR, Boost, Temps, etc.)

I know how to work on/modify engines, I'm just not the most experienced with turbos, especially with this engine as this is the first Datsun I've owned.

Any help would be great, thanks alot

Troy

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi, I'm working on building a quick, fun, and relatively cheap 2.8l I6 in my 81 280zx.

Goal: 275-300hp It has the L28e Non-turbo and I'm wondering what I would need to reach this kind of goal? If you don't feel like typing out a whole lot, just a few tips/warnings/precautions would be great.

I want to turbo it, so other than the Exhaust Turbo Manifold out of a L28et, what else would I NEED from the L28et? ex. Would i Need the oil pump or would the stock one be sufficient for 300 ish hp?
I am looking into putting a 04-07 Holset cummins turbo into it because they bolt right onto the L28et manifold and they are relativity cheap. I have heard many success stories with this turbo so bare with me. Another question is what would work to get the intake/intercooler piping to fit onto the turbo? would i have to fab my own? could you use an adapter of some sort?

I guess I'll make a list of parts I know I need so I don't waste your time by telling me what I already know.

- Turbo, Turbo exhaust manifold, intercooler, piping, Bov
- Megasquirt ECU
- bigger/beefier clutch
- higher flow fuel pump
- Downpipe
-Oil in & dump lines
-Oil T from pressure sensor
-Intake J-Pipe
-Oil pan
-Injectors
- gauges for monitoring everything (AFR, Boost, Temps, etc.)

I know how to work on/modify engines, I'm just not the most experienced with turbos, especially with this engine as this is the first Datsun I've owned.

Any help would be great, thanks alot

Troy
There is a lot of information about low and high compression on turbos. It depends how much boost you are going to use. My advise is for you to find someone that has done it; get all the information you can and proceed it will be fun.:nerd

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
how much are you looking to spend?
going turbo is the best bang for your buck. you are probably better off just swapping in an engine from a turbo zx or just buying a whole turbo car.

for info on doing a turbo conversion, hit the search. this has been discussed many many many times and you might not get a lot of responses on this topic as it has been beatin' from death to life and back to death again.

i have had this done to my own car, so i may be able to advise you a bit on a pm, but first, do some researching as you will find some very valuble information right here.

Bon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts