ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone i just bought a 88zxt shiro with 42k miles on it in mint condition...... problem is the oil gauge reads less then 30 lbs of pressure is this ok the gauge does not go to 0 as soon as you turn the car off doesnt the gauge go to zero when you turn the car off?? so far it takes about 2-3 minutes for the gauge to read zero pressure....is this normal i think it is the gauge what has everyone had problems with sending unit ,gauge,oil pump,...etc... my gauge i think is acting funny but i dont have anything to campare it to keep in mind this is my first zxt in the years of 85 and over........any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks in advance.

john

·
Registered
154 Posts
my oil pressure gauge would read under 30lbs, till i put thicker oil in it then it worked great.

·
Registered
724 Posts
You may want to change your oil pressure sending unit. Sounds to me like that might be your problem. Where did you find an 88 Shiro with 42k on it? Take care of it and treat it with the respect it deserves. Good luck

Special Ops lives!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey spectre, thats what i thought i did a search and for the most part everyone changes the sending unit i think im more concerned if its the gauge. just wanted to see if anyone had a gauge problem or a sender problem and what were the symptons in both cases. and by the way i found her in nevada.....i paid dearly but well worth it its flawless. pics will follow as soon as i get time to take some. thanks for youre advice.

john

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
you cannot tell just from behavior of the guage if it is a guage or sending unit problem but its cheap and easy to replace the sending unit and it pretty much always fixes the oil pressure guage problem people have.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My gauge acts up a lot. I replaced the sending unit after I first got it, and it still reads very low at times. I know the pressure is good because I have hooked it up to a mechanical gauge as well, but the actual digital gauge in the car reads at all different levels even after I put in the new sending unit. Wierdest of all, the gauge seems to read most accurate when I have a full tank of gas, and then once the fuel level drops below a half tank, the gauge reads very low. No joke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.