ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the economy in the past year (not to mention the recent factors) This price definetly seems to high. I don't particularly care because I don't buy cars when they are new. However, If I remember correctly that's how much the Z32 cost when it had to be dicontinued because they could'nt sell enough of them (Price?). I certainly don't think that the Z32 was so undesireable of a car that nobody wanted to own one. In fact that is too funny to even consider. I am just not seeing to logic here. They say that they want to sell lots of these cars like the early Z.

10 or 11 years ago was really a good time to buy a car.
Mustang 5.0 LX $13,000
Probe Turbo $15,000
Thunderbird $19,000
Taurus SHO $19,000
Camaro IROC or Firebird Formula $17,000
Galant GSX $16,000
Celica All-trac Turbo $19,000
DSM Talon,Eclipse,Laser $17,000
MIata $14,000
Sentra SE-R $13,000

This is just a brief list of some of good deals of that time period. These numbers are the AVERAGE of what buyers reported paying for these cars to Autoweek magazine in 1991. A quick guess of the average 0-60 mph time for these cars would be 6.5 sec. Anyway, they are all fairly fast in my opinion and would be considered by the average buyer looking for a FUN car at that time. Maybe I missed something. Is the new Mustang that much different than the one they built in 1990. How about the Camaro or Firebird. Actually, if I remember correctly almost all of these cars is still built on the same chassis with the same drivetrain.
Yet they sell for nearly twice as much now?.
I think all of these cars sold pretty well in one form or another. I still remember reading about the Mustang LX and Sentra SE-R. I remember them both being in the Car and Driver "Best Bang for the Buck" contest in fact I think (the Mustang won a couple of times I believe). They sold a lot of 5.0s just as Nissan sold Zs in the early seventies for exactly the same reason "Bang for the Buck".

·
Registered
957 Posts
yeah but the only thing is that 10 years ago $17K is like $30K today.....wanna see some real funny stuff watch the game show network and see some of the old shows where they roll out a fully loaded buick or something for like $4,000.....

Z ya later
Mike K

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.