ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I have been considering building a 3.1 Stroker motor. After doing a lot of research on the cost and amount of work involved in building the stroker, I am wondering whether it is worth all the $$ and trouble. I have been thinking that a stock F54 w/flat top pistons and a .080 shaved, ported, polished P79 or P90 head (see Bryan Little's web page) would give me a lot of bang for much less bucks. I guess what I would like to know is how much more h.p. can I expect out of the stroker? I know it depends on the cam, head and induction I put on it. But any thoughts any of you have would be appreciated. What I would like to end up with is a motor I can put in a 240 or 260 and have a streetable car suitable for everyday driving that will deliver 0-60 times similar to a stock 5.0 Liter mustang (my '91 Mustang 5.0, 5sp did 0-60 in 6.05 secs. according to Motor Trend). That is the kind of performance I want from a Z.

·
Registered
361 Posts
> As some of you know, I have been considering
> building a 3.1 Stroker motor. After doing a
> lot of research on the cost and amount of
> work involved in building the stroker, I am
> wondering whether it is worth all the $$ and
> trouble. I have been thinking that a stock
> F54 w/flat top pistons and a .080 shaved,
> ported, polished P79 or P90 head (see Bryan
> Little's web page) would give me a lot of
> bang for much less bucks. I guess what I
> would like to know is how much more h.p. can
> I expect out of the stroker? I know it
> depends on the cam, head and induction I put
> on it. But any thoughts any of you have
> would be appreciated. What I would like to
> end up with is a motor I can put in a 240 or
> 260 and have a streetable car suitable for
> everyday driving that will deliver 0-60
> times similar to a stock 5.0 Liter mustang
> (my '91 Mustang 5.0, 5sp did 0-60 in 6.05
> secs. according to Motor Trend). That is the
> kind of performance I want from a Z.

Coop,
Since you are not looking at ultimate performance, and don't want to spend a lot of money, go with the simple route, like what Bryan Little outlines.
So just what is the difference in power btw and stroker and a slightly modified stock size? Not a lot in peak, but a much wider range, and more torque, and spread out much more. The actual numbers aren't all the much higher. Based on what you say you want, go with the cheaper option, you won't be unhappy.
-Bob Hanvey
(author of the 3.1 page).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always Good Advice from Bob Hanvey

> Coop,
> Since you are not looking at ultimate
> performance, and don't want to spend a lot
> of money, go with the simple route, like
> what Bryan Little outlines.
> So just what is the difference in power btw
> and stroker and a slightly modified stock
> size? Not a lot in peak, but a much wider
> range, and more torque, and spread out much
> more. The actual numbers aren't all the much
> higher. Based on what you say you want, go
> with the cheaper option, you won't be
> unhappy.
> -Bob Hanvey
> (author of the 3.1 page).
Bob, as always, I appreciate your good advice. I am facinated with the concept of the 3.1 Stroker engine as a project, if for nothing else, than for the challenge of the project itself. But, for my first engine build-up, I'm inclined to do a stock re-build, with the only modifications being in the head. Thus, for my first complete motor, I'm inclined to do a Bryan Little job. Later, I will tackle a 3.1 stroker. (However, the more I read, the real challenge of the stroker is getting good machining of the block, and good balancing of the crank and rods. There is nothing real different about assembling the engine. Thus, once I find a machine shop that I feel comfortable with, and hopefully one that has radically overbored some Nissan L series before, I will feel much less hesitant about attempting a stroker.)

Even before I do a Bryan Little engine, I want to try slapping a modified N47 Maxima on my daily driver (a 260Z with a stock L26 and roundtop SU's). I should be able to do this over a weekend and be able to drive to work on Monday. My only question is will the rings on my engine (157k miles) be able to handle close to 10:1 compression from the N47 without a re-build? The engine runs strong and does not burn any oil and was well maintained by the original owner (a Luftansa pilot), so I quess it can handle the new head.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob, what 0-60 you getting from 3.1?

> Coop,
> Since you are not looking at ultimate
> performance, and don't want to spend a lot
> of money, go with the simple route, like
> what Bryan Little outlines.
> So just what is the difference in power btw
> and stroker and a slightly modified stock
> size? Not a lot in peak, but a much wider
> range, and more torque, and spread out much
> more. The actual numbers aren't all the much
> higher. Based on what you say you want, go
> with the cheaper option, you won't be
> unhappy.
> -Bob Hanvey
> (author of the 3.1 page).
Bob, what kind of 0-60 times are you getting from your 240 with 3.1 srroker and your other modifications?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Bob, what 0-60 you getting from 3.1?

> Bob, what kind of 0-60 times are you getting
> from your 240 with 3.1 srroker and your
> other modifications?

I have never clocked it before. I am shooting to get a G-tech sometime to help with that prob. I would guess in the low 5's, high 4's. I am traction limited,(still have an open diff, and 3.54, vs. the 3.9 I need), so I would stick with the low 5's comparing it to other cars it has stuck with, or beaten.
-Bob Hanvey

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drop LSD in

> I have never clocked it before. I am
> shooting to get a G-tech sometime to help
> with that prob. I would guess in the low
> 5's, high 4's. I am traction limited,(still
> have an open diff, and 3.54, vs. the 3.9 I
> need), so I would stick with the low 5's
> comparing it to other cars it has stuck
> with, or beaten.
> -Bob Hanvey
Sounds like the 3.7:1 LSD from the 87-88 300ZX Turbo would be perfect for your car.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Drop LSD in

> Sounds like the 3.7:1 LSD from the 87-88
> 300ZX Turbo would be perfect for your car.

I thought heavily about that, but I really want the 3.9, since it still puts a theoretical top speed over 165. So that gives good highway rpms, and great accel, for 40 in first, 70+ in second is WAY to high, and i need more than the little jump to 3.7. Worst case, I will order a R200 3.9 LSD from Arizona Z, but I am still on the prowl for a used one.
-Bob Hanvey

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: old rings and N47 head

> Even before I do a Bryan Little engine, I
> want to try slapping a modified N47 Maxima
> on my daily driver (a 260Z with a stock L26
> and roundtop SU's). I should be able to do
> this over a weekend and be able to drive to
> work on Monday. My only question is will the
> rings on my engine (157k miles) be able to
> handle close to 10:1 compression from the
> N47 without a re-build? The engine runs
> strong and does not burn any oil and was
> well maintained by the original owner (a
> Luftansa pilot), so I quess it can handle
> the new head.

coop,
Sorry, forgot to answer this part. I think your rings will be fine. If the motor is strong, and gets respectable compression readings in each cylinder, I see no problem. You are looking at really jumping up the compression with the N47 maxima head, though. I don't have figures, but my quick guess would be in the mid 10's. That is about the upper limit for pump gas, and since you still have the stock cam, I don't know how that will affect it,(a larger cam will give you more room for error, or rather you can run a higher compression). I have finally confirmed the maximas shape,(as I believe All Z east did here), and it is indeed the heart shaped combustion chamber. As a side note, I would reccomend NGK BP6RES spark plugs. I said it in a post above, they are three electrode plugs, and they do make a difference, esp with the chamber design of the p-series heads,(and N47 maxima).
-Bob Hanvey

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: old rings and N47 head

> coop,
> Sorry, forgot to answer this part. I think
> your rings will be fine. If the motor is
> strong, and gets respectable compression
> readings in each cylinder, I see no problem.
> You are looking at really jumping up the
> compression with the N47 maxima head,
> though. I don't have figures, but my quick
> guess would be in the mid 10's. That is
> about the upper limit for pump gas, and
> since you still have the stock cam, I don't
> know how that will affect it,(a larger cam
> will give you more room for error, or rather
> you can run a higher compression). I have
> finally confirmed the maximas shape,(as I
> believe All Z east did here), and it is
> indeed the heart shaped combustion chamber.
> As a side note, I would reccomend NGK BP6RES
> spark plugs. I said it in a post above, they
> are three electrode plugs, and they do make
> a difference, esp with the chamber design of
> the p-series heads,(and N47 maxima).
> -Bob Hanvey
Bob, I got in touch with a guy named Paul Ruschman (did you refer me to him, I don't remember?), who has done alot of work with the Maxima N47 head. He confirmed the heart shaped combustion chamber and size and compression. You are correct that I would be over 10:1 with my L26. However, he recommends significant amount of deshrouding around the valve area of the head, which according to him would take compression down to about 9.9 to 1 with a 1mm head gasket. This would be perfect!! Paul is working on 3 N47 Maxima heads for sale and I am negotiating with him to buy one. I'll let everyone know how the project turns out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.