ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna have my VG30ET bored to a VG33ET i also need help finding piston as i am new to this...any good help is appreciated!!!! ive been to nissan parts.cc and victoria british....es3....domdogg123....(V)erciless.....88hybrid anybody around? im told i need to get piston but either im lookin in the wrong place or cant find them...or im simply lookin over them....if i get it bored to the 3.3 specs what pistons should i use? if i dont decide to go with the 3.3 bored...where can i find pistons(im told there are about 3 sizes) for just the VG30ET block? oh yeah what would you guys pay for a transmission 5 speed from an 84 turbo and/or for a ECU/o2 sensor

1981 nissan 300zx 260000 miles and still going!!!!!!!!!!!

1986 nissan 300zx turbo swap in progress!!!!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Re: 3.0 to 3.3 and Pistons (es3....(V)erciless....domdogg123....

First off, do NOT get the 5-speed from a pre-'87 Turbo, it's absolute crap (see Borg-Warner T-5) If you do go with the 3.3 L find the size of the pistons from the VG33 (found in Pathfinders, pickups and some minivans), and get them custom made from http://www.importperformanceparts.net

·
Registered
185 Posts

You cannot bore a VG30 to 3.3. You can get a 3.3L Motor from a pathfinder but its not worth it IMO.

As far as pistons go how much power do you want to make? What Compression Ratio would you like to Run? Aftermarket or Nissan OEM? If your going for aftermarket pistons also you mind as well get some aftermarket connecting rods or at least get the stock rods shot peened. For pistons BRC or Diamond are some good companys that will make you pistons to any spec you want. Or you can get pistons/Rods off a VG30DETT The compression will be slightly lower in the VG30 due to different combustion chambers/heads but they will still work.

Link for pistons:
http://www.diamondracing.net/
http://www.brcperformance.com/
http://performancenissanparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3141&osCsid=01de8c68cdd771020bc18335cdfb5f6e

Dont bother with a tranny from a 84 if you dont want to destroy transmissions every 500 miles get a 87-89 Transmission (believe me I know from experience)

Post Edited (Oct 16, 11:40am)

·
Registered
94 Posts

I think Steve is right about not being able to bore your VG30 that much. The Pathfinder engine is good if you have the money, but it isn't exactly bolt in and the only real advantage is a little more torque from the extra displacement. And unless you want stock replacement pistons, again Steve is right that the best bet is custom pistons from somewhere. BRC seems to be a popular choice.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
dumbasses

The VG30 from our cars, and the VG33 is physically the same motor, only Nissan bored it larger to have 10% more power and torque for the trucks. That is the reason that they re both VG motors, since they are both physically the same. If they were different castings, then it would be a different code. VG=casting code; 3.0 or 3.3=displacement...same block only more displacement. God, I wish people had common sense!

·
Registered
185 Posts

The VG30E block cannot be bored to 3.3, the cylinder walls are too thin. Ive experimented with it, it wont happen period.

Post Edited (Oct 16, 12:10pm)

·
Registered
185 Posts

All VG motors are not identical. How did Nissan make a 3.3L VG because they moved around or re shaped many water passages and made many other slight differences. Casting code is Vague alls that means is all VG motors have the same untouched un machined Cast nothing else. If you still dont believe me take your block to any reputable machine shop and ask them to bump up displacement .3L and have them tell you why. Anyhow I dont know why everyone is hung up on bumping displacement of the motor you can make more power than you can ever dream off of 3 Liters

·
Registered
185 Posts

sorry i didnt see domdogg123s post before I wrote my post above

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Either way, it'd be easier and cheaper to find one from a truck or minivan that is already 3.3L...But like Steve said, the VG30ET can make PLENTY of reliable power without needing to have increased displacement.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

well my friends i am new at this..... as far as all the calculation well im stumped..all i know is that id like to do whatever i can without spending too much money to make my Z car something for a good sunday drive and give some of these honda and such a run for their money. Stevez31 id like to get some pistons that would get me about 250 to 300 horsepower from it. if i can do it with stock piston then cool....i just need a link on where to get them from so i know what to tell the shop as far as bore specs...cause i dont know jack right now...i need direction...1sikZ i talked with this guy about a transmission from a 84 Z turbo and he told me to name a price...i saw it the Z31.com classifieds....anyhow on this swap i still have my na 5 speed tranny...so what tranny do i need to get when i get the swap going?

i know i sound like a dumb ass but ive never rebuilt an engine b4 and well a lot of this stuff can be confusing...i appreciate you guy a whole lot takin the time to answer my stupid seeming questions....cause i am a novice compared to you more experienced guy on here.....my cousin told me that their should be about three diff pistons avail for the VG30et (for replacing in the engine) ive been rackin my brain trying to find them and my head hurts so i just need specifics...i dont know how to calculate engine power but im definitley willing to learn...thats what im here for...thanks guys..all of yall are AWESOME...and thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts

Yea stock pistons/rods are good till about 450-475 HP youll be fine with the stockers. Post a want ad on Z31.com im sure a bunch of people have some stockers lying around.

Heres the three different pistons found in the Z31 and what years/engines they are found in

84-87 Z31 NA: VG30E, CR 9.0:1
88-89 Z31 NA: VG30E, CR 9.0:1
84-87 Z31 Turbo: VG30ET, CR 7.8:1
88-89 Z31 Turbo: VG30ET, CR 8.3:1

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

cool..thanks...new pistons right?...thanks SteveZ31

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

nah, new pistons cost a lot of money. If you're looking for a cheap "budget" rebuild, used isn't soooo terrible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.