ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped by 3.364:1 rear end for a 3.90 and my 4spd for a 5 spd the other weekend. I got the 5 spd from the junkyard for $48. It made noises in several gears. I got another tranny for $48. Put that on in. It works great!! The rear end cost $70. I did all the work myself. This is awesome. Next, head swap!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: How much quicker does it feel?

It feels a good deal quicker. The problem is, it feels like my clutch is slipping and can't handle the 3.90.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>How did you remove the halfshafts?</b>

Do the halfshafts just pull right out of the rear diff. R200 I am assuming. I have a 3.9 that I am planning on putting in my 280z. Do i have to use a slide hammer or do they just pull out with a little levering? Thanks-
Jeff

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: halfshafts?

They pop right out, if you have an old R180 you'll need the shafts and flanges from a R200 setup(280) I did this same thing to my 71, along with the 82 drivetrain...my tranny is noisy in 1st and 2nd, but I can wait until it blows. Make sure you match the gear ratio with the tranny or it could slow you down. If anyone wants to do this swap..E mail me and I'll send the specs.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

Just converted to a 5-speed myself, noises in 1st and 2nd as well. I'm told it's the input shaft bearing so your tranny may not blow-up right away (just keep making noise). It's supposed to be easy to replace, just remove the cover around the shaft from inside the bell housing and there it is. I havn't tried it yet and have another tranny in the garage I'm going to swap with anyway so I can't personaly verify this yet, but worth a try before you purchase another. Does it also make a noise similar to a bad throw out bearing when your foot is off the clutch? (not depressed like the sound a bad throw-out bearing would make)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: How did you remove the halfshafts?

I didn't remove the half-shafts. There should be no need to unless the seals are leaking. But, I am told they just pull out.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That sounds like the noise I heard EXACTLY!! I had another tranny that I bought cheap so I thought I would try that one before I tried to fix the old one. But thanks for the info., maybe I can fix the noisy one and then I would have a spare. By the way, where do you buy an input shaft bearing? Nissan?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.