ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a oil cooler system from an early 280ZX Turbo and need to have someone confirm what I think is true; that the part that goes on the block and has the check valve in it will bolt on without block modifications.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> I now have a oil cooler system from an early
> 280ZX Turbo and need to have someone confirm
> what I think is true; that the part that
> goes on the block and has the check valve in
> it will bolt on without block modifications.

I believe you're talking about the oil cooler/filter adaptor, the bypass that screws into the engine block in place of the oil filter and routes oil from the engine to the oil cooler. It's easy enough to check and see if it fits for yourself. Just go to an auto supply and see if 240Z's and a 280ZXT's take the same oil filter. I doubt it, but if they do, then you can use the kit without modification. If they don't, you can buy an oil cooler/filter adapter from J.C. Whitney for about $20 at (312) 431-6102.

An oil cooler may not be the best thing to put on your engine though. If the oil in the engine doesn't reach 180 degrees, it isn't breaking down sufficiently and won't lubricate the parts as it should. A cold-running engine is just as bad as one that overheats in the long run.

Also, running hot oil through lines outside the engine is not advisable because if the lines break, you lose all the oil in the engine in about 10 seconds. I've had this happen more than once with external engine oil coolers on motorcycles. My solution to overheating is a larger capacity 4-row radiator and an electric radiator cooling fan with a thermostatic on/off switch. Oil coolers I've put on cars in the past have been more trouble than they're worth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.