ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
82' 280zxt 5 speed. First gear slips out all the time and I don't know why. None of the other gears are slipping. So when I'm in first I have to keep my hand on the shifter so I won't slip out. Does anyone know what could possible be wrong. I asked a friend of mine and he said that I could be the "shifte" something or other in the transmission itself and I would have to order the part for Nissan. Any help would be appriciated.
-poopysnaps

·
Registered
887 Posts
what trans do u have

·
Registered
10 Posts
DO YOU HAVE THE STOCK SHIFTER, OR AN AFTERMARKET SHIFTER. i HAVE A HURST COMPETITION PLUS BILLET SHIFTER THAT HAS ADJUSTABLE SHIFT STOPS AND THEY WILL CAUSE YOUR PROBLEM IF NOT PROPERLY ADJUSTED, BUT IF YOU ARE STOCK THEN YOU NEED A TRANNY OVERHAUL. YOU MUST HAVE ALOT OF MILES ON THAT TRANNY TO HAVE A PROBLEM LIKE THAT WITH A LOW HP. MOTOR THAT CAME STOCK IN THE 280 ZXT CARS. JUST A GUESS -- THE BRASS SYNCROS' ARE WORN OUT CAUSING THE TRANNY TO NOT HOLD GEAR IN FIRST. JUST A GUESS, BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE THE TRANNY LOOKED AT IF THESE PROBLEMS ANR OCCURING WITH A STOCK CAR.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 5speed, I believe that it's the stock borg-warner T-5 unit that came standard on all 82' 280zxt's.
-poopysnaps

·
Registered
64 Posts
pull your drain cap and check for exsesive metal fillings on it. but yea it sounds to be the syncos, and maybe the actual shifting things (i suddenly cannot remembert there names), but they ware out sometimes do putting exesive weight on the shifter it self so the shifting things rub up againts the locking mechanisems that lock the sycros into place. i'm sure that made no sense but it has been along day...

drew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.