ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car I am considering to purchase has a turbo style hood and a turbo on the exhaust manifold, but there is no duct or other material from the opening on the hood connected to the turbo. Is this correct?, or is something missing?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
There is nothing ducted there. They just have the hole there for looks and flow I guess. I guess it is possible that there was something offered to install there and I sure someone else would know if Nismo or factory offered something. I'm curious, too. Mine is the same.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
The NACA Duct in the hood is simple for cooling airflow around the turbo. It does not function as a air intake for the turbo to use in the engine. It also allows heat to escape up while sitting at a traffic light.
It sounds like the car you are considering is correct, at least in that area.
What year turbo is it?

Russel 83ZXT

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
The duckt on the drivers side of the hood actually lines up with a heatshield separating Master/Slave Cilinders off manifold. Turbo is actually much more deapper down there and a little bit towards.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: 280ZX Turbo</b>

yes, this is the correct setup. All 81 turbos and every zx 82-83 had this hood. The vent merely allows hot air out of the engine compartment when not moving, and allows air to circulate while moving. Like another post said, there is a heat shield there to block hot air from the master cylinder. this vent allows the air to circulate the excess heat away. If you absolutely feel the need to use that vent as an intake you will have to fabricate your own intake system. no such kit is available from anyone because that was not the intent of that vent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.