ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
she smokes blue at idle bad mosquito control,on the road no smoke come back to shop the temp gauge is pegged ,inj fan cam on car has been siting for most of the 3 yrs 99%,after the test drive no smoke at idle then in5 min smoke again as bad as before i was told a lifter was sticking ,did'nt know the motor had a lifter,also told he temp gauge inaccurate only reads ice cold or pegged hot ,but the inj fan came on its controlled by a diff sensor right ??? help

· Registered
996 Posts
Put the car down and run away.
Seriously, the injector fan comes on when the engine temp exceeds 210 and you turn off the ignition (mine has never come on here in Portland, Oregon). There are "lifters" but the '83 P90A was the only hydraulic lifter head.
Sounds to me like you have a blown head gasket and possibly worn out valve seals and guides.
In themselves, not big issues but great amunition for getting the asking price down.
Dan

· Registered
360 Posts
Cliff,
The fan is switced by the sensor on the thermostat housing that has the lead wire coming out of it.

If the car is a turbo, it may be the seals to the turbo unit. I had a Z where the turbo ran quiet, but would smoke like CRAZY until you drove it normally, then the smoke would clear up. If you sat a light idling, it would load back up with oil.

If you have the P90A head (83 turbo only), you may have a LEAKY "sticking" lifter, but that wouldn't cause the smoke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.