Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all,

I was curious after seeing a the hood vents, on the ZX turbo I was wondering why is it that they only have the triangle thing on the passenger side, i understand its for the turbo ofcourse, but when i have stuff i like having stuff equal like if theres a hood vent on one side i think the other side should have one that looks the same, maybe its some flaw heheh but anyways is there any specialy reason there is just one and not 2 of these triangle vent grilles? Cause i've noticed on other cars they have some kinda air thing on the same side and was just curious if there is any specialy air flow blah blah or rocket science to this, if any of you can answer my question that would be appreciated:)
thanks
yuichi

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hay that what make the 280zxt cool cars the 300zxt dont have that on it. And besides if it did not say turbo or that. How would u know it a turbo. Or a dummy just wanted it to look like a turbo z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Someone here said it was to lower underhood temp and it's on the left 'cause thats where the manifolds are. Made perfect sense to me, makin me consider the louvered access panels on my '72. well...almost consider them

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: 280ZX Turbo hood louvers?eh? curious questi

Yuichi...

I think they look good in pairs too... I would think that they do increase air flow around the engine. I want them paired because I intent to louver the side hood "doors" too. So I want them paired up...

BTW, Have any luck finding anything on the list at the junkyard???

Zya,
Dennis

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think all 82-83 models came with the turbo hood.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
putting 280Z hood louvers,need measurement plz!

I'm putting 280Z vents in my hood. Could someone measure how far down and in they go for me?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike just find a 280Z hood!

Mike just go the junkyard and find a 78 280Z with a already hooded vents hood that would be a lot easier it fits on perfectly to a 240z:) hehehe trust me i've done it;)Zya
yuichi

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts
RE: 280ZX Turbo hood louvers?eh? (long)

good, guess! it IS rocket science. that triangle thing is called a NACA duct. (not nasa,naCa) it was designed to flow more air than a outward protruding scoop, with no drag. If you look at the "pointy" end, you will notice (on a properly designed duct) that it is shallower than the "wide" end. the gradual deepening and quick widening of the duct causes low pressure--and really rams air into a little hole. They were designed to allow massive air flows at high velocities, but with little drag. In the turbo cars, you will see that the duct actually directs air downwards past a LOT of heat shielding and directly onto the turbine scroll and headpipe. the ducting/shielding extends to the frame rails, and using that bit of data, you can assume that the air that's introduced into the engine bay is designed to quickly exit beneath the car. something a lot of early z-car guys forget when they start putting them on their cars. They work great for a bunch of things-driver cooling, brakes, diff coolers, etc. as long as the flow is exhausted to a relatively low-pressure area. what goes in, gotta get out.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: 280ZX Turbo hood louvers?eh?

I have to disagree with you Tony. Although everything you said about NACA ducts is true, I think Nissan was following pure market tactics here. At 60-70 mph, those ducts do about as much good as a nice breeze for cooling. Race cars have always used the "form follows function" rule, and this sometimes results in assymetric designs (as opposed to symetrical). They put the NACA duct there as a styling feature. In theory it could function if speeds allowed and it was ducted properly. It just doesn't get the chance to in this case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.