ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the lens of the tail lights on a 280ZX can be separated from the white plastic rear body? I want to clean them out and consider adding LED lights. They seem to be two parts with two screws holding them together, but I can't separate them. Wondering if they are glued together.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes. My 80ZX was damaged at a shop that was working on it, and they bought a used tail light assembly, but removed the broken lens and replaced it with the lens from the good tail light. I'm not sure what they did to separate the lens from the housing though. The S30 tail lights are held together with adhesive so you need to use heat. Heat may help loosen the screws you can't remove. Just don't use too much heat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the screws out with no problem, but when I tried just a little gentle prying I chipped off a piece of the red lens. There doesn't seem to be any give in the two parts. Maybe heat is the answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
An X-acto knife might be your friend. Go straight into the "gap" with the blade #11 at about a 45 degree or less angle (not the tip directly as it's prone to snap off) a little at at time all around. If you can get the rounded blade #10, use it after getting a start on a "groove" between the two pieces. #10 is thicker so go easy on the pressure until the pieces start to separate. A little heat can't hurt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know if the lens of the tail lights on a 280ZX can be separated from the white plastic rear body? I want to clean them out and consider adding LED lights. They seem to be two parts with two screws holding them together, but I can't separate them. Wondering if they are glued together.
HEAT is absolutely the answer. I chipped one of my lenses but didn’t want to fork over an arm and leg for a replacement assembly. I baked the whole assembly in my oven (I do not remember the temp - wasn’t too hot - and it separated pretty cleanly and simply after baking for a bit. I epoxied the chipped pieces back in to the lens and reassembled it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts