ZCar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 79' 280z back from the shop recently for a diagnosis. It died on me after a bit of spirited driving one afternoon. I thought it might have been an issue with the cruise control because I had flicked it on and off a few times to see if it still worked. Turns out it was actually a bad MAF sensor. Got a new one put in just yesterday and now its running really rich. Low throttle response until you get it warmed up, backfires when you let off at high RPMs, and I can hear a hissing sound coming from the engine bay when running. My guess is a bad vacuum but I figured I should see what yall have to say about it. Anyone else have this issue before?

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you are talking about the black box before the throttle body that's the air flow meter. There's a few adjustments on those that are touchy and if the one you bought is well-used you might have a case where the carbon paper that the needle runs over is worn. Here's a helpful thread about adjustments and whatnot to make sure the one you got wasn't altered: http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/afm/index.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are talking about the black box before the throttle body that's the air flow meter. There's a few adjustments on those that are touchy and if the one you bought is well-used you might have a case where the carbon paper that the needle runs over is worn. Here's a helpful thread about adjustments and whatnot to make sure the one you got wasn't altered: http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/afm/index.html

Here's the part I got. Its definitely a Mass Airflow Sensor. Should be a new one as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well here's two other sources where it's not called that:

Regardless of the naming convention..... you should still at least check it to make sure that they refurbed it right (or manufactured it right if it really is new). There's an electrical test instruction thread floating somewhere around this forum. Also double check you didn't knock an old vacuum line around the vicinity. Brittle ones might just break if you hit them hard enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Regardless of the naming convention..... you should still at least check it to make sure that they refurbed it right (or manufactured it right if it really is new). There's an electrical test instruction thread floating somewhere around this forum. Also double check you didn't knock an old vacuum line around the vicinity. Brittle ones might just break if you hit them hard enough.
Gotcha brother, sorry for the misunderstanding! Thanks for the info I'll see if I cant track that thread down this afternoon

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you hear a hissing then theres definitely a vacuum line that's out - it really is that simple. Regarding the air flow meter that you got, all of these are rebuilt and many not well. For example I went through 3 rebuilt alternators from my local parts store until we found one that worked for more than 2 weeks.

Basically, when they rebuild parts for our car they figure out the problem part in there and replace it without testing the other stuff so theres always something that might have gone wrong with it on its journey from them to you.

Either way smoke the engine with a hand pump and cigarette and that will tell you REAL QUICK where your problem areas are with vacuum.

Getting this running right shouldnt take more than an hour.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Since you bought the install, why wouldn't you take it back to finish the job for which you paid?

Just curious.

·
Registered
195 Posts

There is a very big difference between the MAF and the AFM. One actually meters or controls how much air comes through-AFM (think of a choke) the other just measures how much air is coming through -MAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts