Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've got an 82 280ZX n/a that I just replaced the rack and pinion on. Now the car doesn't drive right. I've had it aligned twice and it still isn't right. The tie rods are new. I bled the system by raising the car, taking off the the pump cap and turning the steering wheel back and forth quickly. It didn't help. It feels like the steering is light one way and heavy the other. Also, if you point the wheel in any direction other than straight, it will hold that direction if I let go of the steering wheel. The car will not cause the wheel to straighten out. The wheel is stiffer than the old unit. That is expected because the car has 254,XXX miles on it. There are no leaks in the system (was one, I tightened it; i think it's stopped now) and the pump appears to be functioning.

I think that's everything. Any ideas? I'm sure I missed something or I've got another problem. The steering was fine before with the exception of leaking seals and slight vibration (vibration is still there). I'm at the end of my rope. Please, help!

Thanks all,

E

G

·
0 Posts
E,

Clearly you need a few more responses to give some ideas as to what to do. One thing I would consider is the idea that you might have purchased a bad unit. I say this from experience. I had to take one back after I installed it, for other reasons, but there it was defective as **** right out of the box. After you get some responses from the board ask the guy at the parts store about returning it. Also, if you end up doing that ask about getting reimbursed for the alignment. I bought a bad clutch from O'Reilly's and they reimbursed me for labor on the second one. Good luck. John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.