ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding the power steering pump on my '83 280zx and there is a snap ring on the back with no visible way of removing it. I'm hoping someone else has done this before and knows the trick. The front one is a circlip with two holes. That was fairly easy. This back one has straight ends, not beveled and no room behind it to fit any pick tool. It doesn't even slide in the groove. The rebuild kit didn't include one even though the FSM says not to reuse it. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
If it's like all other round wire snap rings you will have to shove the point of an angled tip pick tool under one end and get it started up and the end of the ring above the groove. Hold that and take another pick tool or small tip screwdrive and start to slowly lift the ring from your starting point. Work your way around with another small tip screwdriver, but go slowly and hold a finger on the ring in case it suddenly snaps totally out of the groove. Don't want a sting.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Take a punch or screwdrive blade and tap the end of the ring to move it a little in the groove. Then take a straight pointed tool, like an awl, and tap it under the end of the ring at as flat an angle as you can. You're steel on steel, so a little mark from the awl ain't gonna hurt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. It sounded like a good idea. I got it to slide in the groove, but even with the tiniest pick tool I can't get under or behind the ring. It seems impossible to remove. I've also searched for a tool made to remove it but haven't found any.

·
Registered
910 Posts
A dental pick may get under it and help nudge it out to where you can reach it with a stronger tool. But they're not strong enough to pry it out.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
There has to be room when installing for the ring wire diameter to slip over the edge of the groove recess that holds the ring in. Use a thin screwdriver blade or 1/4" chisel point between the side of the ring, at the end, and groove at an angle that will "follow" the OD of the ring into the groove. Pry out enough to get a thicker tool(s) in until you can pry "under" the OD edge of the ring and give a little lift. Hold that and continue to pry with another tool around the ring groove or under the cut end of the ring. CAREFUL when you get so far the ring may snap out at you.
You can also try using a standard snap ring plier to help put pressure betweeen the ends of the ring as you use the tools to work from the side end of the ring. Might also use a replaceable tip snap ring plier with angled tips set 180* apart, one tip ground to an "awl" point, one tip ground flat (distance between tips to fit between ring ends) to try to force the tip under one end of the snap ring as you pry the side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts