ZCar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

As of December 2019 I am the proud owner of a 1981 280ZX 2-seater hardtop project car.

My car came with factory gearbox power steering and the center-link/cross-rod ball joints are just done. This piece is no longer available.

I would like to do a rack and pinion conversion and I know it is fairly straight forward. I already sourced a rack and pinion front crossmember from ebay.

Now I just need the power rack unit, which seems to be the hard part. These are (apparently?) rare, or at least rare on ebay and from most auto parts stores.

So, having the engineer brain that I have I started thinking: Is there another rack unit that might fit and work?

I found that the front crossmember from a S13 240SX looks darn near identical to the 280ZX rack and pinion crossmember, especially how and where the rack unit mounts.

The 240SX rack unit also looks really close to the 280ZX unit, the only visual difference I can spot is the length of the tie rods. The 240SX uses longer tie rods than the 280ZX rack and then uses smaller/shorter cast ball joint tie rod ends compared to the 280ZX.

The 240SX rack unit is a bit more readily available so I was wondering if anyone has done or attempted this swap?

I appreciate any constructive feedback or information!

Thank you.

-Mad Mechanic

·
Registered
756 Posts
Have you tried the used Z parts sources? No clue on the 240 parts, sorry I can’t help there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts