ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im redoing my 82 280zx in a dark tan color but have competly ****** it up. i dont realy want to goto a shop and get a custom interior and pay lots of money. i realy want a black interior. i have brown and tan right now and changed the carpet to black so its all black and tan. are there black interior parts? for everything?

willb

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Black and silver were used in stock application, you shouldnt have a problem picking up black parts for the interior. Remember, if its hard and plastic, you can spray it with a quality interior paint and it will look good. Just take your time.

Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Paint Doesn't Adhere to Plastic

If you think I'm lying to you, try a test sample and see for yourself. Plastic has a smooth surface and paint peels right off it. So-called fabric colors just make a mess and ruin interior components.

Victoria British Limited will send you a free color catalog showing the factory Datsun/Nissan interior colors at http://www.victoriabritish.com. Their upholstery kits are very good quality.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I did exactly what you are attempting, converting from brown to black.

!st- the best quality vinyl spay will chip off. You can use it on plastic trim not subject to too much wear. This will save you a bundle.

2nd- Although black seems common, it's not for the '82 280ZX you'll have touble getting all the parts. Your best price for new parts (if available) will be from some of the dealers who offer 25% off list price for Z-club members. Catalogs will charge more for less quality.

3rd- Junk yards will be able to scrounge up some parts for you, but this can be hit or miss due to availability and quality. For many parts due to price and availability this will be your only source.

I replaced my dash with a new Nissan part as well as all the trim plastic around it. I had the headliner redone in black for $50. I replaced the door grips and handles with junk yard parts. I sprayed the door panel black. Soft vinyl, if cleaned, takes and holds the paint well. I bought new rocker plates; right side from dealer new, left side not available new- purchased from junk yard. The rocker plates take a real beating, don't try to paint them. Other trim parts painted or replaced new if available. Some of the larger parts, like wheel wells will cost a lot, paint those but watch the wear. Get the little caps and rivits new from the dealer. Sun visors; used from junk yard, not 82 but 84. I left tan carpet, but you can buy replacement carpet from Motorsports and paint the carpet trim on your doo panel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.