ZCar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1981 280zx GL na 5spd
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been trying to figure out how to get my heater to work. Car is fully warmed up, thermostat is opening, and my heater doesn't work. It hisses when I switch between vent settings and I can hear the air flow changing so I know the doors are moving. Air flow also changes sound when I go from cold to hot. I've only been able to get a little bit of warmth from the defrosters and it only blows out of the passenger side defroster. I'm also confused on what the "pull open" vacuum switch is for underneath the steering column. My air conditioning system is installed but it has no charge right now and the condenser is unplugged to keep it from turning without oil. All responses apreciated

· Registered
65 Posts
first thing i would do is check all your vacuum lines and make sure there tight also is it a manual or automatic a/c unit? also that pull tab is a Fresh air vent that lets air in without turning on the fan. just pull the switch when your moving down the road and you will see what it does.

· Registered
2,845 Posts
according the FSM, (manual control, not auto) insufficient heating or discharge is caused by:

-cooling water temperature too low
-heater core plugged
-insufficient cooling water level
-malfunctioning air mix door
-malfunctioning water valve

on my 280zx, I had to replace the water valve due to it leaking. and after I did, the heat wouldn't work... I had to go and re-adjust the cable control on the valve, the piece that operates the air mix door, and after doing that the heat worked normally.

this may not be in your case, but you may have a vacuum line thats missing or disconnected. also, there are little servo valves and actuators in there that may also be failing. you may have to remove your dash and get a good look at the system. grab your copy of the FSM, the HA section tells you exactly what you need to do to troubleshoot the system.

cheers,
Bon

Reactions: RustyS130

· Registered
1981 280zx GL na 5spd
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, good to know! mine has manual ac. I was removing an aftermarket security system earlier today and noticed that one of the ducts next to the steering column wasn't connected, it fixed my defroster on the driver side. I just took apart the underside of the dash to remove the system and put it back in, guess it's coming back out again lol. I'll check the doors and the water ****, thanks!

· Registered
2,845 Posts
no sweat, dude. hope it works for you.

Bon

Reactions: RustyS130
1 - 6 of 6 Posts