ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 82’ 280zx as a gift. Only problem is it’s been sitting in my grandmas garage for about 20 years. I’m not sure what is wrong with it but I do know that the clutch pedal is stuck to the floor, the battery is dead (any tips on a battery? This is my first time doing this kind of stuff) and the hatch doesn’t stay open. Any tips would be helpful because I would really like to get this car started by myself if possible.

· Registered
83' Datsun 280ZX N/A Manual 5 speed
26 Posts
I recently got a 82’ 280zx as a gift. Only problem is it’s been sitting in my grandmas garage for about 20 years. I’m not sure what is wrong with it but I do know that the clutch pedal is stuck to the floor, the battery is dead (any tips on a battery? This is my first time doing this kind of stuff) and the hatch doesn’t stay open. Any tips would be helpful because I would really like to get this car started by myself if possible.
Ok I've wrote this once before and lost it from accidentally clicking off the page, so I'll keep it as short as I can 😂. For the clutch probably just replace it and find whatever else is wrong with it along the way of replacing it. For the hatch you aught to get yourself some struts as mine has a pair that hold it up mighty fine, they even slowly lift it when I pop the hatch. For a brand, I couldn't tell you unless I get in the car, but it's night right now so Ill do it some other time, I'm not sure if it came with them from factory or if a previous owner put them in since they were there when I got the car. There is likely a post on here with recommendations for batteries but if not I can probably check what battery I'm running since I have to detail my engine bay anyways. There's some recommendations I have such as installing a 3 core radiator as the 2 core it came with in my case would make the engine run a little warmer than I'm comfortable with it being, as well as doing the "car that's been sitting for a while" maintenance such a as draining the oil and gas, replace the spark plugs/wires, and a new battery which I seems you've got that down already.
But anyways take my recommendations with a grain of salt, because I've had my car for about 8 or more months and have been in the community for some time, but there is many more experienced ZX owners here that have been here for longer than I've ever been alive 😂 but bet of luck to you and your new Z! Please post some pictures of the car it'll get the post more attention and I just wanna see it in general 😅

· Registered
1979 280ZX
30 Posts
Just got mine earlier this year. Also sat for a very long time. Got it running this past weekend! :)
For your hatch, order these from Amazon. Just got them myself a few months ago.
Clutch, sorry, no experience there. Mine is regrettably an auto...
Battery, of course start with a new one. there's debate on the size b/c larger ones can contact the hood if it's not properly restrained. I have the larger but have good restraints.
Search to get a copy of the factory service manual (sorry, don't have a link handy). I'm sure somebody will link it for you or just search. It's INVALUABLE while troubleshooting.
Essentially, you need fuel, air, and spark to get it running. Verify all and it'll run.
I'd really check out your tank. Mine was a rusted mess. Had to drop it, have the inside cleaned, refurbished the fuel level sending unit, replaced all soft lines and filter. Blew out rigid lines.
I also had to rebuild the brakes and replaced all the soft lines and pads.
Theme here is replace the rotted out soft lines and hoses as you go.
Good luck!

· Registered
41 Posts
If you don't wanna replace the clutch, disassemble the clutch line and use WD40 to clean the inside of the cable and then try it maybe it will help with holding tension on the pedal or check the line see if it's shot.
Whatever, you may decide to do, take your time, enjoy doing it and start with cleaning out whatever part you can: use paint thinner, gasoline and other cleaners. Do the cleaning first. Search online, there's always someone out there who has put up advice on cleaning materials to use on various part of your car. Good luck!

· Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,769 Posts
Here's the thread I mentioned - it's in the stickies for this forum (hint...)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts