ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new here and I have a few questions. There is a blue 280zx for sale near my house. The body is in great condition with only a minor rustspot on the hood. The owner says it has 56k original miles. The interior isnt to bad, but the dash is cracked up. I havent met with the guy yet to check out under the hood. Ok now to my question lol, there are 2 diffrent engines in the 280zx's? One is NA and the other is a turbo, what kind of power do each put out? My last question is how is the weight distribution of the car and handling?

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Boy, this question has been asked and answered so many times. . . but briefly:
* Z cars rust very fast, especially in the rust belt. Before you commit look for bubbles and rust-through on rockers, floors, behind wheels, etc. If there is ANY, there's likely lots more hidden. Repair panels are available but rust repair is very time consuming.
* All dashes on Zs crack. You can get covers that glue on and look like the dash for $100 or so. New dashes run $500-$800.
* 56K is not bad, and if the engine runs and has been cared for and the guy doesn't want big $$, those are all plusses.
* Yeah, the late '81 through '83s came with a turbo option. They were rated at 185 bhp I think, versus about 135 for the NAs.
* The 280ZXs weighed about 2,800 pounds if memory serves. Frankly, handling is a joke in these cars compared with anything new. IMHO, even the first-gen Z cars could run circles around a stock ZX in the handling department. However, with the application of modern technology (bushings and decent struts), ZXs really come into their own and can be made good handling cars. If you keep in mind they are 25-year-old technology and will never handle like a Porsche, you'll be happy enough.
There's lots more about all this on this and other sites. Do your homework, then make an offer. Or not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.