ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

280ZX engine in a 240Z

606 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Joshua L. 
#1 ·
Hi to all,
This is my first time at this site & I really like the info. & pictures of the cool cars.
I have 2 items that needs to be addressed & I hope you can help me.
I currently own a 72 240 that is in the process of being put back together, the car was in excellent condition but I wanted to have it in perfect condition… I have been restoring it for the last year. After a complete bead blast (top to bottom) minor structural/floor repairs & a first rate paint job done on the “rotisserie”, it’s now time to put everything back together.
1) I have a 280ZX 83 engine/head/5speed that I would like to drop in the 240Z, & I would like to keep my SU’s. I am not looking for any “monster” mods to be made, but I would like to have the extra HP of the 280ZX engine & the fifth gear for highway driving. What is the best solution(s)?
2) I would like to install the rear disk/caliper from the 280ZX 83 on my 240Z, I know that some after market adapters are available for such modification. Again what is needed to accomplish this in the best way possible.

Thank you
Robert Miron

#2 ·
> Hi to all,
> This is my first time at this site & I
> really like the info. & pictures of the
> cool cars.
> I have 2 items that needs to be addressed
> & I hope you can help me.
> I currently own a 72 240 that is in the
> process of being put back together, the car
> was in excellent condition but I wanted to
> have it in perfect condition… I have been
> restoring it for the last year. After a
> complete bead blast (top to bottom) minor
> structural/floor repairs & a first rate
> paint job done on the “rotisserie”, it’s now
> time to put everything back together.
> 1) I have a 280ZX 83 engine/head/5speed that
> I would like to drop in the 240Z, & I
> would like to keep my SU’s. I am not looking
> for any “monster” mods to be made, but I
> would like to have the extra HP of the 280ZX
> engine & the fifth gear for highway
> driving. What is the best solution(s)?
> 2) I would like to install the rear
> disk/caliper from the 280ZX 83 on my 240Z, I
> know that some after market adapters are
> available for such modification. Again what
> is needed to accomplish this in the best way
> possible.

> Thank you
> Robert Miron

I have a 72 240Z, at 200,000 miles I a purchase an imported used 280Z engine. The 280Z engine was a one-for-one bolt in. The intake and exhast manifold from the 240 bolted to the 280 engine. The engine shop threw-in a 5-speed. I don't know what it came out of but if was a direct bolt in also.Not bad for $400. This car has passed the California test many times with this combo.

#4 ·
A few issues

A few things i realized was:
1. Exhaust manifold from 240 needs to be used with stock exhaust BUT the exhaust ports on the 83 are round (if not a turbo), and the exhaust ports on the 240 are square. I have a header, so no big deal, but if you are keeping it basically original nissan, I can not help you.
2. Use the alternator form the 240, different on the 83, so if you want to cahnge wiring fine, but also the 240 alt. fits just fine.
3. Different fans for the two. There a few different styles of fans, but in the plastic style, there are two different ones. I had to use the 83 pastic fan, just make sure the fan doesn't hit the radiator when it flexs!
Other than that is should be a straight bolt in, except remember to get the cross member, mustache bar, and other mounting parts for the differential from a 280Z with an R200(bigger holes in the mustaches bar for the R200). Use the 78 5-speed shifter(have not used yet, but was highly recommended earlier form someone, norm?). Drive shaft is the 280z kind. There is a web page for this but do not have it handy. Someone should have it.
Good luck,
Joshua L.

It is an excellent conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.