ZCar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have been contacting companies looking for door seals on the s130 and have good news!
Vintage rubber just finished remaking the t-top seals and says they should have all the seals, including the door seals, done in 2020. So be on the lookout.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
sweet! I will be looking out for those. Happy New Year!

Bon

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a brand new set of aftermarket door seals I’ll sell you for $80.00
I ended up buying a set of NOS for my car.
Nothing fits like NOS.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'll buy them from you. PM sent. Happy New Year 2020

Bon

·
Registered
40 Posts
I want to be perfectly honest with you as to why I didn't use them.
They are brand new from Precision and fit and install perfect, just require slamming the door to get it to compress the seals.
I like my doors to close without looking like I'm pissed at my car!
I had acquired a set of nos and though costly and require more work to install, door snap shut with little effort.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I should also point out that even though this forum is grouped from 1970-1983 I an unsure as to the compatibility between the early 280 and the 280ZX.
I purchased my car about 6 months ago and even though I put a a ton of work into the car to have it where it is at today.
I do not claim to be a Datsun expert.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Bon if you don’t buy them I will!
What company makes aftermarket door seals already?
hey man I am not going to get them, so go ahead. but get with zed72 first because he did inform me that they might be seals for a 240, not a ZX. otherwise, i'd be all over it. cheers,
Bon

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I'll buy them from you. PM sent. Happy New Year 2020

Bon
Without even looking at them I can tell you that they're not for a 280zx. Precision has never made door gaskets for a zx. I started working with them to make the zx door gaskets 15 years ago and they finally confessed in 2015 that they aren't going to do it because the zx door gaskets are too complex and they didn't think that they would be able to sell enough of them to make it worthwhile. I informed them that from 79-83 there was over 300,000 zx's made and the majority of them that are still intact today need door gaskets. I turned over a complete used set of body gaskets to them for a zx and they ended up throwing them away. I then turned to Vintage and gave him some door gaskets and he's run into similar issues in finding someone to manufacture the gaskets for him. He's probably contacted some 20 different manufacturers over the last 6 or 7 years with less than good results. Hopefully this will be the year finally. As far as the first gen door gaskets not working from Precision, there are many factors. The doors have to be adjusted correctly, the latch mechanism has to be lubricated with a penetrant/lubricant like Zep 45, and the door panel can't interfere with the gasket. If the gaskets are still in the bag, there is a bar code on it or some batch numbers and they can tell when they were made. If they were from a batch before 2016 they can be exchanged for the newer style. The newer style work good, I helped Precision redesign them here at my shop. Contact the business that the gaskets were purchased from and see if they'll handle it for you.
Z man of Washington

1 - 9 of 9 Posts