ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing how my car came out before i was born, was wondering if they came with a remote for the door locks, if so where can i get one? also did they come stock with battery kill switches, because i have this funky thing on my driver's side under the console that has a locking hole, what is it? big black box.

Thanks -Zed

1974 260z 2+2
1983 280zx last year model

· Registered
222 Posts
You should get a catalog from MSA-MotorSportsAuto www.zcarparts.com or zparts.com. No keyless entry was not an option in 1983. MSA sell a keyless entry kit for the ZX. You have a great car, treat it good and it will treat you twice as good.

I myself have a 83 turbo with a few mods, like straight 2 1/2 in exh, CF2 clutch,lightweight flywheel, Tokico adjustable shocks all round, Eibach Springs, Poly bushings, Slighly raised boost(8-9 psi), Rack & pinion, balljoints, tierods, tires, brakes...etc...etc.. I am now currently doing a stock rebuild on my block. There awsome cars, fun to drive, and they kill Honda's too, the vtechs or vtec whatevr.

· Registered
596 Posts
When I had the alarm system (along w/ keyless entry) installed on my ZX, they needed to install a relay of some sort in the driver's side door. There's something to do with the fact that the electronic door locks are controlled by a module in the driver's side that activates the passenger side lock. The relay essentially has a piston that pushes the mechanism one way or the other, and thereby activates the existing electronic locks. Not exactly sure, but I have seen the unit (it's a Viper system) and it works great now.. There were NO factory remote locks available for your '83. Not sure about the black box you describe. Where exactly is it, and does the ignition key fit it?

Later
~Scott'83ZX

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BLACK BOX

Well the little black box is mounted under the dash to the side of the center console on the drivers side, It does not take a standard key but more of a key that would fit a computer case. I did not get a key for that when i got the car.

· Registered
596 Posts
Re: BLACK BOX

I've had the dash and console completely out of my '79 and '83, and have never seen or heard of the box you describe. Sounds like an add on (possibly a starter kill switch or the like). Like I said, I'm fairly positive that nothing of this sort was available from the factory, but the dealer or a previous owner could have easily slapped one on. I'd try to trace the wires to it to determine what it's connected to.. Beyond that (if it were mine) I'd probably try to get the thing off and open it up to see what's going on inside.
My initial description of the piston actuator for the doorlocks was kinda hard to follow, but just keep it in mind as a possible necessity (and expense) when installing a keyless entry system..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.