ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 280ZX 10th Anniversary with a usual cracked dash. I noticed that the car has the Automatic Temperature Control and has an ambient sensor on top of the dash. I was able to locate another dash off of a 1979 280ZX with no cracks and in perfect condition. However, I noticed that it did not have the ambient sensor on top of the dash. Does anyone know if I swap these dashes out will I be loosing some functionality in my AC system without this sensor?

· Registered
1,779 Posts
Not sure about this but can you transfer the old sensor to the new dash???...you might have to make a mount...but someone probably has a good & correct dash
here on this site...Good Luck :eek:)

· Registered
655 Posts
The sensor you are talk ing about is really a hole in the dash for the aspirator fan to pull air down to the sensor. So you can carefully cut the correct size hole for the plastic insert from the old dash. If this is a scarry thing maybe you can reroute to another place from under the dash? This is how the auto tempp control determines the interior temperature so choose a location wisely.
Enjoy the ride!

· Registered
492 Posts
...mine was like that...i drilled a "little" hole where the sensor was ..then took a conical grinding stone in a drill and ground it until it was the right size....those sensors arent worth a crap .....i ended up unhooking mine...(it made noise)....and didnt work.....there are 2 wires by a pipe down by the #5 plug (on mine) that turn your heater fan on (or keep it from turning on until the engine is warm)....im gonna take those to a thermostat (that will be inside the car) and let "that" control the heat (fan).....s

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.