ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 80 280zx yesterday. Noticed that some things from the dash (where the radio is, and right above it) are missing. I wanted to know where I could find information (either Internet or books to buy) that could tell me what was supposed to go there. Also, I noticed the car was rather noisy. I realize that a new exhaust system would probably be in order eventually, but there is also a lot of road noise. I see that the weather stripping is badly work on the windows and rear hatch glass, and I am going to be replacing those, but any other suggestions? I was considering pulling up the carpet and painting the floor boards with some anti-noise paint stuff I seemed to have picked up somewhere. Any other general information about restoring these cars and/or books to buy would be great! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
good books, look at the top of the forum. also z's by nature are quite noisy (tire noise, wind noise etc) there isn't a whole lot you can do to extenuate it. I would pull the carpet up, however, I'd bet you've got some nifty rust down there (they all do!) and you can fix that as you lower the road noise!

·
Registered
368 Posts
> Just bought a 80 280zx yesterday. Noticed
> that some things from the dash (where the
> radio is, and right above it) are missing. I
> wanted to know where I could find
> information (either Internet or books to
> buy) that could tell me what was supposed to
> go there. Also, I noticed the car was rather
> noisy. I realize that a new exhaust system
> would probably be in order eventually, but
> there is also a lot of road noise. I see
> that the weather stripping is badly work on
> the windows and rear hatch glass, and I am
> going to be replacing those, but any other
> suggestions? I was considering pulling up
> the carpet and painting the floor boards
> with some anti-noise paint stuff I seemed to
> have picked up somewhere. Any other general
> information about restoring these cars
> and/or books to buy would be great! Thanks
> in advance.
Hey I have a 80 z the thing above the radio is where the air conditioning and fan control knob are if that is what you are talking about. About the road noise, well, I can't help that much, mine is very noisey.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would highly recommend that you call Victoria British and Motorsport to get Free Parts and Accessories catalogs from each (800,255-0088 and 800-633-6331 are their numbers). Both of these places specialize in Z parts, which are much more reasonable than Nissan. Their prices aren't usually as good as Auto Zone, but then then carry a lot of stuff that Auto Zone doesn't.

I think that you will also find this sight (and the archives) very useful. There are a lot of folks out there with a lot of knowledge and experience working on these things.

You will probably also want to find a junk yard near you that has some Z's, so you can get used parts, if needed. Joe at All Z East ([email protected]) is a great source of used parts if you cannot find a local yard . I have not purchased anything from him, but plan to and have seen that many guys have been happy him.

Last suggestion, you may want to let folks on this site know what state you are in, as you may have some Z fans near by that can give you some hints on parts sources, etc.

Dont know what to tell you about the noise, but it sounds like you're on the right track -- new rubber and undercoating (overcoating), may be a good solution.

Good luck, have fun, and don't get too frustrated.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Haynes manual is good or try Chiltons

I dont mean the white book part no (6932)they dont have eletric schematics. but the Dark Green book (8846)52800 is on the top right. has the wire schematics but I dont thing there all of them. That where the shop manuel will come in

Now I have both and They have diffent things that help fix cars but 90% of the time they have the same.

me I m looking for a shop maneul.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.