ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the last z car and classic datsun mag. i got all the 510's changed there 4lug and disk brakes to 90+ 300zx and but the 90+ 300zx wheels on there. there 5 lug i dont realy want to change the brakes and i dont think i have to. i can get a 4to5 lug conversion kit but its a lot of money (300) and i am assuming the wheels are alot of cash too. any tip or suggestions please..

will bowman
home.earthlink.net/~icnicon - 280zx home page

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> in the last z car and classic datsun mag. i
> got all the 510's changed there 4lug and
> disk brakes to 90+ 300zx and but the 90+
> 300zx wheels on there. there 5 lug i dont
> realy want to change the brakes and i dont
> think i have to. i can get a 4to5 lug
> conversion kit but its a lot of money (300)
> and i am assuming the wheels are alot of
> cash too. any tip or suggestions please..

> will bowman
> home.earthlink.net/~icnicon - 280zx home
> page

Hey will,
The spindles for the hubs are the same on the 280ZX and the '84-89 300ZX. Get the hubs for the 300ZX and replace. I would manufacture a bracket for the brake calipers to be adjusted to fit the 300ZX discs and use them. You can then put on aftermarket 300ZX brake upgrades and wheels.

later,
LuZifer
'83 turbo project

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but on the 89 300zx did they use the 5stars that they used on the 90+? i just want those wheeles and dont realy want to change the disk brakes unless its a must. and where could i get 300zx parts. my junkyard has about 5 280zx's 79-83 (i think) and a few crapy mid 80's 300zx's that don't have anything to part...

will
come.to/izcar
> Hey will,
> The spindles for the hubs are the same on
> the 280ZX and the '84-89 300ZX. Get the hubs
> for the 300ZX and replace. I would
> manufacture a bracket for the brake calipers
> to be adjusted to fit the 300ZX discs and
> use them. You can then put on aftermarket
> 300ZX brake upgrades and wheels.

> later,
> LuZifer
> '83 turbo project

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, as far as I see it you will need to replace the whole suspension. The 79 through 89 suspension and geometry are similar, however once you enter the 90+ models they change. I thought about the newer Z rims on my 81 turbo, but found out that rim offset to be completely incompatible. The newer Z rims butt up at the outer portion of the rim, whereas the 280zx's of the 80's butt up in the middle region of the rim. Another problem with these offsets are that the geometry of the 280's require the tire in a specific placement for proper performance. If you can replace with a different suspension and keep the original geometry you are in. One last trouble with the different years is the size of the rims. You can only fit so large of a rim into the wheel wells before they make contact with either the fender or the strut. I am running 15x7 rims and 225 60r15 tires. You can go up to a 16x7 rim or even a 17x7. The problem is finding a rim manufacturer that makes the correct offset and a look you like. You will notice that most of the Z's that you see are either running stock rims or the rims are from a limited few manufacturers.

Rim companies that I know of that make rims for the 280zx:
Eagle Alloys---My current rims
Enkei
Panasport

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.