ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I should look at the archives but I'm still a little confused. I have an '82 280zx 2 seater n/a. I'm replacing the clutch and want to put a 2+2 clutch since I've read that it has a better grip. I want to know that if I purchase the exedy clutch kit on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7928155966&category=33730) for $79 and a 2+2 flywheel, is there anything else that I will need?Where or what websites can I find a 2+2 flywheel at? Also, I have to replace my gearbox and I'm going to pull one from the local u-pull-it. Is there anything I can check before or after the gearbox is out in order to see whether or not its in good shape. I dont know that much about these parts, I'm only getting them so my mechanic can install the for me. I will really appreciate any help. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
You need the flywheel and the throwout bearing collar from a turbo or 2+2. You need the collar because the pressure plate is taller, so the collar is shorter, on the 240 MM clutch.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
What seems to be the problem with the 225mm N/A flywheel? Is your N/A pushing high HP and ft. of torque? That N/A flywheel will hold with a good clutch set up...

I ran a turbo motor set up that certainly wasn't stock and only now, I "might" be replacing my 225 N/A 11 lb. flywheel with something that will hold my new stroker turbo motor. If I find a decent clutch set up, I'll continue my use of the N/A size flywheel. Lighter is better!!! That 240 mm is a heavy dog for a stock N/A, even on a stock turbo motor it held the N/A 225mm just fine. Good clutches won't slip :)

Post Edited (Oct 18, 10:13pm)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
My buddy 2fastzx did the same clutch upgrade on his 79zx. Go to your local autozone and buy a new 81-83turbo flywheel, Then go to your local trany shop and tell them you need a 81-83turbo luk gold series clutch.
The n/a and turbo flywheels are the same mass the only difference is the dowell placment which on the turbo ones they are 15 mm larger diameter but only on the dowell placement. When you bolt your clutch to the fly wheel your old bolts are going to be to long. You can grind them to fit or just add lock washers. 2fastzx runs a turbo set up on his 79zx and his clutch never slips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.