ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of performace should one expect if 5000 bucks of mods were thrown at a 280zx? Would one hope to get 14 sec on the quarter mile? How about 200 hp? If not then how much should they expect to dish out to achinve these numbers? I know 200 hp wont get you 14 sec quarter miles i just used them as general numbers.

·
Registered
613 Posts
sounds possible to me. I would get a Big Throat TB or 240sx TB, get a cam, post and polish the head, add a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, a 2.5 inch exhaust. I would also fabricate the air intake that is at the air dam, so you are forcing air into the engine (Ram Air) also put a K&N in the setup. Also if you have money left over, install a aftermarket Fuel Managment system (SDS). I would so do that if i had 5k, people dis the zx for its accesive weight. The problem with the ZX is T-Tops, as well as the other crap added in there. Fortuneatly my ZX is low end, and this i have no options, and no t-tops. Ifi could weight it, i would expect it to weigh in the 2800 lb range. The reason is because one, power nothing, rack and pinion steering, **** light! The Worm gear (powersteering model) is weigh heavier, more things in the steering, plus the pump is robbing the car of power from the engine, not much, but its free power. Now take out all options, weight reduced plus more horsepower at the wheels. And when you add mods that is even more horsepower to the wheels. Thats why i love my 280zx, but one day i will weight it and let you all know how much it weighs.

Emir

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have the car yet but im going to get one in a few weeks. I actually had a 280zx na but it was rear ended and totaled. I was thinking about maybe the 300zx na but i love the look of the 280zx (well that and i really miss my old car) and i would get an older model but i like having power everything because this was basicaly a daily driver. I'm a college student and the insurance for a 6 cylinder was killing me just for liability so id hate to see what insurance would be on a turbocharged car so thats why im looking into na still. my old car was bone stock and thought the original performance was awesome in my book and if i can get 200 hp out of it then i would be absolutly thrilled.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Okay, ideas and weights

For $5000 you should have no problem getting into the 14's - I would expect upper 13's for that kind of money. Also the ZX's aren't that much heavier, actually they weigh almost the same as a 280Z. One like stingray has with a solid roof and basic options will weigh around 2800lbs. I had an 82ZX that was loaded, with everything including spare tire it weighed 2987lbs on a scale that is supposed to be accurate within 5lbs. My 78 280Z weighed 2739 lbs with everything and after I put in on a serious diet it now weights 2540 lbs with some additional chassis bracing and no options.

I run N/A with an L28: F54 turbo block using flattop pistons and an E88 head. The bottom end is bored .20 over and I run a custom crank, rods. The head is ported quite a bit with some polishing. Large valves with a 5 angle cut, unshrouded and the bowls have been blended and cc'ed. I run a cam with .495 lift and 282/272 duration. I use triple webers with a cannon intake that has all been port & gasket matched. MSD for ignition. The last time I tuned it on the dyno I was seeing 248 [email protected] 7200 rpm and 238 ft/lbs of torque @ 6000 rpm. So far my best 1/4 run is [email protected] mph and that was very near sea level like 100 ft elevation so that helps. I don't launch the car hard at all and pick up alot of speed after the 1/8th.
I also am using the closer ratio 5 spd.

Look for a guy named Norm (the 12 sec SU dude) on this board, hes a complete gentleman and is turning some great times with his 240 and a good budget built engine - he nows his stuff.

I've got very close to your budget in my motor and I did alot of the work myself. I could have done it cheaper but I put alot into the bottom end since I turn sustained high rpms I wanted it to be reliable. You should be able to get 200 rwhp for $3500 -4000 and put the rest in suspension or brakes.

What ever you do find a car with the least possible body damage, rust and best interior. You will be far ahead not having to pay for rust repair and all the little interior gadgets, the mechanical work can be done much cheaper.

Matt

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ever notice how these Z mechanics all say 5 thousand dollars when you ask how much?
Five Grand better provide you with a racecar or this guy needs to continue working on it.
“I have to change everything and it cost 5 Thooooooooousand Dollars.”

Madeline
Hoooooolywood. FL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok how about this. say i build up a heafty l6 and stroke it to 3.1 and all that fancy jazz and finaly when the urge to increase hp bites me and im finaly able to afford it i set the same engine up with a turbo system sold from jim cook racing. how would this engine compare to a stock turbo engine other than price?

·
Registered
43 Posts
go for a 280zx Turbo

You can get a very clean and reliable one for about $1500-2500 dont pay more you can find one for that. Then you will need an intercooler 1100 retail build your own from pick a part $250 tops. An adjustable boost valve $100 retail less than $20 if you fabricate it. You can do some exhaust work at local shop for about $300 (not really neccessary though). Possibly a cold air intake (probably wont get much out of that).

But if you run your boost at 13-15 pounds with the ic you should pull about 230-250 horsepower and you will easily see your low 13's in the 1/4

Dont forget to do some new tires and redo all of you suspension bushings.

So you are looking at $4000 on the high side and $2000 on the low side for cost so if you have to have engine rebuilt or something minor like that you still can come in well below $5000.

stick to the 280zx it would be your best choice

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: go for a 280zx Turbo

are you refering to a stock turbo engine from a 280zx? well i want to run na for a while first, u know to get used to working on the engine, keep insurance down a tad, one less system to worry about and tune, not kill myself with a car thats too fast for me to handle, and i was thinking about getting the cartech turbo system because once i built up a nice na engine i dont know how smart it would be to drop it for a stock turbo engine. I know ill probably be spending more money but this project will take 3-4 years maybe to run its course so its not really that big a deal. : )

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just bought my first Z - 83" 280ZX and was just wondering if anyone knew what the stock stats are. I'd really like to just return it to original.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.