ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, I asked this question yesterday but im still not convinced. Im thinking of removing those black rubber trims down the sides of the car. Mine is a white 82. Should i do it or leave it alone? What problems may i get. I would please like to hear from people who have done it before and have first hand experience in this. Please help me as im so confused.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Those chrome strips are pop-riveted on to the car. You have to take out the rubber then drill out the pop-rivets. Then fill in the holes with something. Either leave them on or take them off and replace them with new trim.

·
Registered
96 Posts
on the 82 (atleast mine) there are no chrome strips. they should be 2.5" thinck (or so) black rubber type strips that run close to the bottom. I have removed my passenger side one and boy does it look good. I did run into some problems. a few years ago someone painted my car and did a crapy job so some paint flaked off. this shouldnt happen witha good paint job or stock paint. the pieces are held on with some rubberized glue (trim adheasive). this is messy. you can use bug and tar remover and some elbo greese to get this off. i had to do that to remove my pin striping (ouch!).

it instatnly made my 280zx look more like a 280z! just what i want. now the next thing is to remove those big ugly bumbers. taking of the side molding does make the bumbers look kind-of, well, weird. hope this helps.

will

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adam,
I removed the big wide rubber strips when I repainted my car. It looked good, but kinda plain. I decided to put them back on after a few weeks. I think it looks good because it carries over the wide black strip of rubber from the front and rear bumpers, makes it look complete. I did remove the oinky chrome and rubber strip the was mounted up higher on the body, even though it was factory stock I think it looked cheap, like something from Auotzone, added on. I did have to drill out the rivets and fill the holes before I painted.
I am not trying to make my car look like a 240-280, I like the more modern look of the ZX, I also like the look of the original Z, but a ZX is a ZX....run with it.
The big black rubber strip also gives you protection from the BOZO's in the parking lots.

Russel 83ZXT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.