ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
>OK, I see that my antifreeze is leaking.
> I went under the car...and it comes from the water pump.
> Oddly the water pump makes no noises (bearing is fine I guess) but it seems to be >leaking from next to the bottom left bolt. In other words from the gasket. Is that odd >or common? Should I use any of those cooling system sealants (prestone...etc) or >should I just change the waterpump. Is there a big risk in clogging my heater if I use >a sealant? I know that a waterpump is only $20 or so......but it looks like a bitch to >change it. Is it easier than I think? My skills go up to changing the brakes, and all >the fual injectors,...and other stuff like that. How much will I suffer for a water pupm. >are we talking taking all the belts and fans out...etc.? ( I wish that happened to my >RX7) how many hours will it take me. I am loosing about half a quart per week with >about 500 miles driven per week. So I guess about a liter every 1000 miles. I >have 160,000 miles now, and Nissan changed my waterpump when I had 80,000 >miles cause it was noisy.
> Is it about time again????
> Appreciate your help !!!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had the same problem the other day in my 83. laying in the snow under the car, on car ramps, it took about 3 hours to do just the water pump, I also pulled the oil pump and sway bar to check another thing. Mine leaked like crazy after 214K, it is the rear bearing seal, not the gasket, at least on mine. Mine was quite too, just leaked. I would say change it, that seal can not be repaired with sealant. Like you said, it is only $25 and a couple hours. Take off the fan and leave it in the radiator shroud. Loosen the alternator, take the pully off, unbolt the pump, tap it loose, clean the gasket area VERY well so it doesn't leak again. Upon reassembly, use High Temp RTV sparingly on the new gasket, both sides. Put it back together and off you go. It is easy, just a bad place. Cleaning the gasket area took me 1/2 hour using long screper, wd-40 and a small brush. Make sure to get all of the pieces of the old gasket out of the cover before putting the pump in. Good luck, Remember, working on your car is fun... :')
Joshua L.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 280ZX '83 Waterpump ----THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

> I had the same problem the other day in my
> 83. laying in the snow under the car, on car
> ramps, it took about 3 hours to do just the
> water pump, I also pulled the oil pump and
> sway bar to check another thing. Mine leaked
> like crazy after 214K, it is the rear
> bearing seal, not the gasket, at least on
> mine. Mine was quite too, just leaked. I
> would say change it, that seal can not be
> repaired with sealant. Like you said, it is
> only $25 and a couple hours. Take off the
> fan and leave it in the radiator shroud.
> Loosen the alternator, take the pully off,
> unbolt the pump, tap it loose, clean the
> gasket area VERY well so it doesn't leak
> again. Upon reassembly, use High Temp RTV
> sparingly on the new gasket, both sides. Put
> it back together and off you go. It is easy,
> just a bad place. Cleaning the gasket area
> took me 1/2 hour using long screper, wd-40
> and a small brush. Make sure to get all of
> the pieces of the old gasket out of the
> cover before putting the pump in. Good luck,
> Remember, working on your car is fun... :')
> Joshua L.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Re: 280ZX '83 Waterpump ----THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

to start off you don't need to get under the car
what you will need to do is get a 10 mm wrench, a 12 mm socket, 14 mm socket, 10 mm socket. unbolt the 4 screws on the fan with a 10 mm wrench, slide off & pull up above the car. loosen the altenator with the 14 mm for the top bolt & 12 mm for the bottom & slide off the belt, the top 3 bolts on the water pump are 10 mm & bottom 2 are 14/12 mm. scrape clean & put it in in the reverse order. this should only take 45 min to an hour at the most. take care.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.