ZCar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m starting this thread for anyone interested in a doing this swap. I am currently in the process of it and I’ll be adding tips and information as I go along. The engine I’m using is from a 1992 foxbody with the Borg Warner T5 (basically the same trans that is in 5 speed ZX’s.) I also got the driveshaft and complete wiring harness from the Foxbody. I will be sure to add on to things as I go along.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm subscribing to this thread just to see your progress. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve been messing around with the swap for a little over a week now (mostly just waiting on parts) and I’ve noticed a few things. First off is that the driveshaft of a 92 foxbody happens to be very similar besides the length. There is a flange on the diff side of the driveshaft just like the original and it can use the same bolts. The other thing I found is that if you get a T5 that has H-pipe exhaust hanger slots mounted on it, you can flip that bracket around and use the same trans mounting points on your Z, putting the shifter dead center in the factory shifter cut out. I have yet to try and fit the engine in while doing this because I am waiting on some bellhousing bolts and I would imagine that it fits or you may have to bang the upper part of the transmission tunnel to fit the back of the engine in. That’s all for now, I’ll add more when parts come in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Finally dropped the motor in and it “fits”. The trans ended up in a different spot than I had hoped it would so please disregard what I originally posted about the trans mount situation. Headers (even block huggers) will not fit but motor mounts will easily weld onto the frame rails in the engine bay. I’ll be updating more often as I now have more time to work on this build.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check jags that run for parts you might need.
Checked it out and most of what they have is LS or 350 swap parts and they mostly only have things for earlier Z car swaps. Been hard pressed to find anyone who carries anything aftermarket 280zx. Thanks though man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts