Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car seems to be experiencing the following:

1) When revving the engine, the red voltage light turns on and needle pegs to the far right. After decelerating, the needle goes back to normal and the the voltage light turns off.

2) When the headlights are turned on, they will dim upon revving and return to normal on idle. The light in the instrument panel also dim and return to normal similar to the above.

I washed my car last night, but I have observed this before washing the car. Can anyone help me find the problem here? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Carl,
Sounds like you've got a short down by your alternator. Check out your wiring in that area.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phantom:

Before noticing the voltage thing, I had noticed that the metal bracket that connects the capacitor to my alternator broke and the capacitor was hanging free but still connected (bullet connection). I had wrapped the capacitor with electric tape to the nearby harness to prevent if from falling out of connection.

I'll see if I can find a new capacitor with the metal bracket that I can just screw back into the alternator. Hopefully this capacitor can be found easily? Thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: 280ZCoupe76 Light Dimming Problem</b>

I have the same problem with my 76 2+2. I have tried the following;

1 new battery
2 new alt
3 new voltage regulator
4 clean ALL wire contacts
5 clean fuse box
Still lights dim.
The only thing I have not tried is soldering the fuse taps on the back of the fuse box. I can not get the solder iron in place without melting the crap out of the plastic fuse box. My next solution is to use a higher output alt or switch to a smaller pulley size on the alt.

Good luck

Craig76Z

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.