Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 1975 280Z with a 350V8 and 700R4 tranny. The car is in excellent condition as well as no rust (It's a New Mexico Car). The 350 in the car now is stock crate motor with the addition of headers and 4 barrel Holley. I think it puts out about 230hp or so. I plan on restoring the car further and will add a new engine in the 425hp+ catagory for street/strip use. My question is how well should the R200 differential hold up to this combo? I am thinking about a Ford 9 swap but would rather put the money elsewhere. Any thoughts or suggestions from anybody who has done this would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
There are people on this forum running in excess of 500hp w/turbo 6's and the R200 diff. I don't think you will have a problem. These units are quite strong and will even take quite a bit of drag launch abuse. You will have more problems w/the u joints than the diff. It would be wise to convert to the cv axles from a 280ZX and have a custom driveshaft made if you plan on high hp. The cv axle conversion is pretty straightfoward. You can find the info a zhome.com. Click on performance mods and the ford v8 conversion. You will find it under half shaft mods. Good luck!!!

Ian

> Hello,

> I'm new to this forum. I just bought a 1975
> 280Z with a 350V8 and 700R4 tranny. The car
> is in excellent condition as well as no rust
> (It's a New Mexico Car). The 350 in the car
> now is stock crate motor with the addition
> of headers and 4 barrel Holley. I think it
> puts out about 230hp or so. I plan on
> restoring the car further and
> will add a new engine in the 425hp+ catagory
> for street/strip use. My question is how
> well should the R200 differential hold up to
> this combo? I am thinking about a Ford
> 9 swap but would rather put the money
> elsewhere. Any thoughts or suggestions from
> anybody who has done this would be greatly
> appreciated!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Chris,

I am working on my second V8 conversion wiht a 400+ Hp 350 and I have had no trouble with the R-200 rear ends. I dont believe it is worth the trouble to convert to another rear end. I have asked the people at Jags That Run who manufacture the kits that I have used and they say the R-200 is fine up to 400 HP. If you want to go more than that I am sure you can. Just wear you seat belt and dont turn. JTR says they will beat almost anything but they dont turn near as well. But..... What a Rush. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Not Turning??

Thanks guys for the response.

Lars, I think I will stick with the R200. If it breaks than I'll try something else. I haven't got the engine yet, but hopefully I'll be ready to put it in within a year. I'm looking at a fuel injected 383 stroker with about 425hp and 400+ lb ft of torque. I'm not sure if I want to keep the 700R4 that I have in there now. I wouldn't mind a 6spd manual (There's something about stroking the gears in a high hp engine). What did you mean about not turning? Do you mean turning the car while I'm driving fast?
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
> Hey Chris,

Your stock rear should be fine. Maybe big,
sticky, gumbie tires that glue you to the ground
could cause you some grief. I've got a 375 horse
355 ci SB Chevy in my '76 2+2. Its my daily
driver and I abuse it on a regular basis. Do you
know what method was used for the conversion? I
would recommend that you acquire a conversion manual from www.jagsthatrun.com about $35 (if that was the system used/or john's cars). This
will help you familiarize yourself with your
installation. If you do go with a standard xmsn
you will definitely want an overdrive unit. I used an old Saginaw 4 spd in the Datolet and
I have been unable to find a mid 2's rearend
gear, so I will have to up grade to a T-5
eventually, when I can afford it. In liturature
I've seen the T-56 is a very snug fit in the
driveline tunnel. If I can be of assistance,
give me a holler. mikey

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Thanks Mickey,

I'm not sure what conversions kit he used for the job, but I'll look into it though.
I'll also look into getting that JTR book. Do you take your car to the strip? If so what kind of times are you running? One thing I noticed about my 280Z over my 240Z was that the 280Z is heavier. It ways almost 3200lbs according to the plate on the side of my door frame. No matter if you have the HP to move it. Right now I'm having a new drive shaft made for it. The old one (after $120 wasted to find out) was not made properly. This should fix the MAJOR vibration I've been feeling at close to hwy speeds. What size wheels do you have on your Z? I went from a 14x6 to a 16x7 Centerline Wheel. I really didn't want to add flares (at least not yet) so I didn't go wider. I'm running a 205/55/R16. I may (read when I get money) move to a fatter tire after the new engine. If you want to exchange email addresses let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.