ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1978 280z
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently discovered my transmission is toast off of my 1978 280z (4 speed). I am looking into a rebuilt 5 speed from a 280zx (unknown year) for $550. My questions are 1. Will the 280zx trans fit my 280z without major modification? 2. If it does fit, Is 550 a fair price for a rebuilt trans?

Also if theres anyone in the Pacific Northwest with a 280z compatible 5 speed transmission in good condition for sale please contact me.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
There are a few 5 speeds that we got here in the US.
1. 5sp wide ratio (later 280z early 280zx) This one is an easy swap and will bolt right in. I have one in my 75 280z.
2. 5sp narrow ratio later 280zx Really requires the corresponding differential (3.9)
3. Borg warner 280zxt Needs a driveshaft (correct me if I am wrong)

·
Registered
1978 280z
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! Is there an an obvious way to tell the difference between them? Size, bolt pattern, etc?
Edit: nevermind, you can identify them from their tail shafts.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
When it comes to a rebuilt trans for 550.00, I'd be very skeptical if it is fresh. If you're buying a supposedly rebuilt trans after it's been in someone else's car why did they pull it out? If their car was wrecked or they went to a JDM engine or a V8 then that wouldn't be as chancey. If you brought a core 5 speed to me for rebuilding the cost would be 850.00-950.00 on the bench. If you want me to rebuild one of my core transmissions then add 400.00 to that price. I've seen some pretty horrific rebuilds done on these transmission in the past. From shops and from back yarders. I"ve also seen good rebuilds done by both. One of my credos is in this phrase....."The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." I have plenty of the early 5 speeds that are good for 850.00 with a guarantee, and I have plenty of cores I can rebuild if you wanted to go that route. Your choice. I can even swap it out for you if you don't want to or can't do it yourself. I'm also in the PNW born and raised. I'm between the towns of Monroe and Snohomish which is east of Everett. By the way these are all my regular prices. Let me know that you use this forum and I'll knock off at least 5%. Easiest way to tell the difference between the 5 speeds is the tail shaft housings. The early trans has a coarse matte finish. The later trans has a smooth aluminum finish and it has a plate on the left outer side with a pair of 10 mm headed bolts holding it on. The plate is oval shaped and about 2.5" long. No modifications are needed to install a zx trans in a first gen car as long as the zx is not a turbo car. Z man of Washington
www.zspecialties.com
www.datsunstore.com (coming soon)
360-668-2979

·
Registered
1978 280z
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it comes to a rebuilt trans for 550.00, I'd be very skeptical if it is fresh. If you're buying a supposedly rebuilt trans after it's been in someone else's car why did they pull it out? If their car was wrecked or they went to a JDM engine or a V8 then that wouldn't be as chancey. If you brought a core 5 speed to me for rebuilding the cost would be 850.00-950.00 on the bench. If you want me to rebuild one of my core transmissions then add 400.00 to that price. I've seen some pretty horrific rebuilds done on these transmission in the past. From shops and from back yarders. I"ve also seen good rebuilds done by both. One of my credos is in this phrase....."The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." I have plenty of the early 5 speeds that are good for 850.00 with a guarantee, and I have plenty of cores I can rebuild if you wanted to go that route. Your choice. I can even swap it out for you if you don't want to or can't do it yourself. I'm also in the PNW born and raised. I'm between the towns of Monroe and Snohomish which is east of Everett. By the way these are all my regular prices. Let me know that you use this forum and I'll knock off at least 5%. Easiest way to tell the difference between the 5 speeds is the tail shaft housings. The early trans has a coarse matte finish. The later trans has a smooth aluminum finish and it has a plate on the left outer side with a pair of 10 mm headed bolts holding it on. The plate is oval shaped and about 2.5" long. No modifications are needed to install a zx trans in a first gen car as long as the zx is not a turbo car. Z man of Washington
www.zspecialties.com
www.datsunstore.com (coming soon)
360-668-2979
Thanks for your help, I ended up buying a 4 speed instead of a 5 speed. The input shaft has little to no play and the PO assured me it was in perfect condition when he pulled it (he did a 5 speed swap). Im currently swapping it in. I'll be sure to give you a call the next time I need a pro job done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts