ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 75 280z is having problems starting. Since I've had the car (about seven months) it never starts on the first turn of the key. It cranks over okay but nevers fires up. Usually on the second or more recently third or fourth tries it comes alive. could this be the timing or another part of the ignition system?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> My 75 280z is having problems starting.
> Since I've had the car (about seven months)
> it never starts on the first turn of the
> key. It cranks over okay but nevers fires
> up. Usually on the second or more recently
> third or fourth tries it comes alive. could
> this be the timing or another part of the
> ignition system?

I would certainly check the timing and distributor reluctor coil gap. I would also check the spark plugs for their condition ( clean burning, correct gap, oil fouled, etc.).

Then I would check the fuel system:
I believe your '75 has fuel injection. It also has a cold start valve which is responsible for delivering a fuel squirt for cold starting. When it does fire up, does it belch black smoke like it is running rich?

If so, clean the contacts on both temperature sensors mounted on the thermostat houseing. They face the front of the car and have a bothersome, but necessary, retaining wire clamp. The larger one tells the cold start valve when to squirt. It also has a small resistor within that keeps you from flooding the engine with repeated starts.

If it doens't belch smoke or run rich when it fires, clean the sensor termnals anyway and then pull the cold start valve from theintake manifold and crank the enigne to see if it squirts fuel.

I hope this helps

Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
439 Posts
Mine does the same thing but, it starts on the first time then when it rains it won't kick over at all.

This drives me nuts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.