ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted some time ago, but no response, try again, as mentioned earlier my z has front frame damage. it's been in an accident with the previous owner. Should i bother to repair the damage or just get a diff body, the reason i am hesitant is the fact that this car has no rust. what would be the cost of repairing such damage and how Thanks. Stan

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
> posted some time ago, but no response, try
> again, as mentioned earlier my z has front
> frame damage. it's been in an accident with
> the previous owner. Should i bother to
> repair the damage or just get a diff body,
> the reason i am hesitant is the fact that
> this car has no rust. what would be the cost
> of repairing such damage and how

I had originally posted, but then cancelled at the last minute, because this is a very personal kind of decision that has to be made. The basic issue is, that these cars are no longer in production, and anything that you can do to resuscitate an otherwise quite viable car, IMO you should do that. ( As opposed to trashing the car for reasons of marginal economic advantage one way or the other. )

Localized frame damage ( bending/deformation ) can be repaired on a machine, and set up nicely, for under a grand. In my own very personal opinion, if I was gonna otherwise consider the car of value, and restore it, etc., I would do this.

You might feel differently. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and their personal values, and nobody has the right to disagree with you ( or me ) on whatever decision you're gonna make. It's that kind of thing, I suppose.

Doug Dawson
[email protected]

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> posted some time ago, but no response, try
> again, as mentioned earlier my z has front
> frame damage. it's been in an accident with
> the previous owner. Should i bother to
> repair the damage or just get a diff body,
> the reason i am hesitant is the fact that
> this car has no rust. what would be the cost
> of repairing such damage and how Thanks.
> Stan
I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to cost,but the best way to find out how much and how bad the damage, is to take it to a body shop that has an I-car or blackhawk bench.
They mount the whole car onto the bench and measure how far out of whack it is with lasers.
Then they pull the frame and sometimes body back into alignment with hydraulic rams.
The going rate out where I'm at is about $40 an hour and they pretty much will tell you that they can't give you an estimate
util they find out how bad it is. It takes them a few hours to measure all the relevant locations. At that point they should be able to tell you how much to fix.
Oh, and if you are serious about getting this done, call them now because shops with this equipment are usually booked for a couple of weeks before they can get to you.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank's y'all, i know it's a hard question,but it's been bothering me for some time now; each time i do a mod, i ask myself, is it worth it, if i can't do anything about the frame? and i couldn't answer, but with your help it seems i will keep the car( i'm not restoring it, rather modifying it severly; turbo(500+hp), coilovers, no interior, ECT.;-) on the other note i WILL get an 240z to put my N47 into it and go the OTHER way to the power (Carbs, cam, high compression,...)again Thanks for everyone's help BIG boulder off my shoulders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.