ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What benifits are there at converting from FI to Carbs? I just got a 280z and looking at possible upgrades for it.

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
Well...

There's worse gas mileage, less power, harder cold starting, worse emissions, inexact fuel distribution. Gee, what more could anyone want? Oh yeah, fuel at 99.9999% of all gas stations won't be formulated specifically to work in your fuel system.
With all those benefits, I can't imagine why the OEM didn't stay with carbs to the present day...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Re: Well...

fuel injection is nice but it cost's alot more to upgrade so it will perform better,w/carbs you can change jets,float levels,air fuel mix's and could even go to bigger set ups for more power,tony d is a dip sh!t

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
So, what wasn't factual?

He said stocker, so who needs to "modify" the EFI. Plent y of Lo/NO buck mods for the stock EFI and you still retain coldstart, mileage, distribution, etc etc etc.

When you can show me a dyno sheet for all your claims, son, perhaps then you can start calling people names. Until then, I suggest you study some more and get some verifiable facts. Namecalling is a sign of insecurity and ignorance.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
TonyD is right

I have a 77 with SUs on it. I DID NOT DO IT FOR POWER. I did it because I like the look of a carburated car vs all the mess of EFI.

There is nothing wrong with doing the conversion to carbs, its kind of personal preference, but you will run into little things here and there that really get on your nerves (like waiting for it to warm up)

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
How about this flame.

If you get a good EFI kit you can just clickety click a few buttons and change your entire engine setup.

Carbs...get out the vacuum gage, disassemble it and replace parts, put it back together, re-tune it, drive it...oops your needle is too lean at WOT, take it back apart...put new needle in

While you are spending all day in the garage, an EFI guy is driving around.

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
No! Really, Tyson?

You mean there are Tradeoffs? My god, man, are you insane! ;-P
Don't tell me you actually admit that there may have been REASONS for the company to go to EFI in the first place, like cold-start ease in Minnetonka MN in Febuary!
Heh, heh, I guess real men realize there are tradeoffs, and admit them.
I've done my share of EFI to Carb conversions, but mostly for racing, and involving Triples. Now with the cost of SDS, new triples are becoming harder and harder to justify, given the EXACT reason you state: carrying around $300 worth of jets for competing at different altitudes and air densities is a major Hassle. Especially since you can buy a hot laptop for $50!
LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.