ZCar Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
please do not remove the bumpers - these cars have absolutely no protection at all once those are removed and the 240 bumpers are ALMOST as worthless as having no bumper at all. the amount of these that have been taken off the roads due to people removing the bumpers and lightly tapping something is NON-TRIVIAL. these cars will crumple like a tin can which is why the amount of them is taking a sharp dive.

please do not remove the bumpers

EDIT: if this truly is a 'weight savings' concern, the 77/78 bumpers are 22 lbs a-piece. they are not the 98lb a-piece bumpers used in the 74.5 260z and 75-76 280. the weight savings is trivial. remove the spare tire which is 50 lbs and the weight savings will make keeping the bumpers a wash

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the compliment!
The motor is a L28 - N42 block and N42 head.
I had it built by Whitehead Performance in Toronto, Ontario Canada
It features Ross Racing domed forged 87mm pistons. 12:1 compression with L24 connecting rods.
Stock crank balanced and polished.
The head has been ported and polished with a COMP 280S cam. 280 degree, .460 lift
Induction is the previously mentioned TWM/Borla throttle bodies with extended air horns.
Ignition/ECU is an Electromotive TEC-GT with TPS, MAP, and crank trigger.

I am running a 3.90 R-180 with a Gleason-Torsen center using 10/23.5-16 Avon slicks.

The last trip to the dyno yielded 202 HP @ 6500 RPM and 170 ft/lbs torque at the rear wheels.
Calculated results come up with 250 HP and 204 ft/lbs.from the motor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the compliment!
The motor is a L28 - N42 block and N42 head.
I had it built by Whitehead Performance in Toronto, Ontario Canada
It features Ross Racing domed forged 87mm pistons. 12:1 compression with L24 connecting rods.
Stock crank balanced and polished.
The head has been ported and polished with a COMP 280S cam. 280 degree, .460 lift
Induction is the previously mentioned TWM/Borla throttle bodies with extended air horns.
Ignition/ECU is an Electromotive TEC-GT with TPS, MAP, and crank trigger.

I am running a 3.90 R-180 with a Gleason-Torsen center using 10/23.5-16 Avon slicks.

The last trip to the dyno yielded 202 HP @ 6500 RPM and 170 ft/lbs torque at the rear wheels.
Calculated results come up with 250 HP and 204 ft/lbs.from the motor.
This thing surely screams!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Did not intend to paint... but a dude in his Honda Pilot backed into my hood last September. Oh since you’re at it... It did have scars from pulling the rear bumper and skirt... oh and that little bubble next to the door handle.... ****! Just the thing done all around why don’t you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good day all,
Looking forward to the summer and turning the page on this quarantine situation.
Here a little update on the Z... via pix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
looks great! you're a step ahead of me working on a similar build with my son (who also bought a '78 280Z L28e in VT two years ago) - So Far: balanced crankshaft, flat top pistons, cam with .460 lift & 270 duration, valve job with upgraded springs and polished N47 head, 6 into 2 headers with 2.5" abarth exhaust, ProTunerZ L-Series intake manifold with 90mm TB, 14mm fuel rail, 310cc RB20DET injectors, Toyota 1NZ-FE Coil on Plug, shaved flywheel to 16lbs and running on MegaSquirt.

question if you don't mind - did you upgrade the crankshaft harmonic damper/balancer? we are keeping the air conditioning and not finding a decent solution for a 2 groove pulley and 36-1 toothed CAS

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Good day all,
Looking forward to the summer and turning the page on this quarantine situation.
Here a little update on the Z... via pix.

Very nice, cant wait to see video of this car running.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I just spent a fair amount of $ on my seats...
MSA foams + skins + labor...
Result...
Look 10
Comfort 0

They are coming out as soon as I can find replacement.
Anyone has constructive feedback on:
1) Seat rebuilt using MSA foams + skin
2) best replacement seats

tks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update MSA seats foams + skins
My body shop probably sent them out to a couch upholsterer.
Took the seat out of the z last week and had the foams reshaped. The guy said that many mfgs glued skin to foam in the yr, but now that case for Datsun. In retrospect, I’d would have had mine glued. I’m sure that my seats will never need to be over re-upholstered in our lifetime. They would just look better if skin be glued to foam.

Oh... and afte lugging these in/out of the my next lbs saving action item: Replace seats

21 - 33 of 33 Posts