ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about converting an automatic 280z to a manual. I don't care if its a four or five speed but I prefer manual. How hard is it and is it worth it? Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
> I was thinking about converting an automatic
> 280z to a manual. I don't care if its a four
> or five speed but I prefer manual. How hard
> is it and is it worth it? Any help would be
> great. Thanks

Easy as pie. Just bolt it up and add pedal, etc. I switched from 4 speed to 5, but I can't believe going from auto to manual is much harder. The only thing different is adding the clutch pedal. I'm no super mechanic and I had no trouble. Good luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I did it on mine in a day. I am pretty sure the clutch pedal mount was added at the factory even in the automatics so you just find a pedal and put it in, I have a 75' 280Z and it was there on mine. Also on mine the holes were already there but there was a plate glued to the firewall which I removed to mount the clutch. One thing to remember is to ensure you measure your driveline to be sure it fits. I think the worst thing about the switch on mine was the mess I made with the tranny fluid when we removed the automatic hoses from the cooler. I agree with you totally that a manual Z is much more fun... Good Luck
Tony

> Easy as pie. Just bolt it up and add pedal,
> etc. I switched from 4 speed to 5, but I
> can't believe going from auto to manual is
> much harder. The only thing different is
> adding the clutch pedal. I'm no super
> mechanic and I had no trouble. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
> great. Thanks

It took me two days to convert my 75 auto to a 5 speed. It was quite easy to do but I have found that my speedometer is now 5mph fast at 60mph. also when I put the flywheel on I found that I couldn't use the starter from the auto trans. not a big problem but i did have to get a starter from a manual trans. The bonus is that I lost 1.5 sec. on my 0-60, and it's much more fun!!!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> great. Thanks
I read the responses already, and would like to add that the starter problem mentioned, may be because of a spacer used behind the auto flywheel.
It looks like it may be part of the crankshaft, but it is not, and must be removed, or you will have starter problems.
Also, you must add a pilot bushing in the back of the crankshaft!
We have complete changeover parts, sell new daikin clutch kits, and rebuilt 5 spds, or kits to rebuild 4 and 5 spd trans. Good luck, joe
1-800-533-5659

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I have a 280ZX Turbo auto 3 speed I was told that the auto is faster then the 5 speed in a n/a the 5 speed wins the race but a Turbo motor when you shift you let off the gas and it backs down the turbo

what do you guys think about this?

I myself love a 5 speed my bike is a 6 speed
is there any way to put a 6 speed in a Z?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.