ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 83ZXT that I've done some upgrades to. T04, intercooler, fuel pump,ect. It's probably around 300hp. The problem is I get bad wheel hop in 1st and 2nd gear when the tires are spinning. Any suggestions on a solution to this?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Unfortunately, the trailing arm suspension on the ZX's is inherently prone to squatting and wheel hop. One solution is ultra stiff rear shocks. This, along w/polyurathane bushings, will reduce your problem, however, I doubt eliminate it. The other solution is to not spin the tires, hahaha! Ya, right!!

There was a guy I saw at Famosa Raceway in Bakersfield, Ca., that was running low 11's w/the stock suspension on his '82 280ZXT. The **** thing would pull the front wheels up! I don't know his name or anyway to reach him, but he had had Jim Wolf Tech do a lot of the work on the car. You might call them and see if they know any tricks. BTW, he was using an 8 drag slick.

Good luck!!! You may want to buy stock in your favorite tire company considering you will be using them up!!! Hahaha, just kidding!!!

Ian

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> Unfortunately, the trailing arm suspension
> on the ZX's is inherently prone to squatting
> and wheel hop. One solution is ultra stiff
> rear shocks. This, along w/polyurathane
> bushings, will reduce your problem, however,
> I doubt eliminate it. The other solution is
> to not spin the tires, hahaha! Ya, right!!

> There was a guy I saw at Famosa Raceway in
> Bakersfield, Ca., that was running low 11's
> w/the stock suspension on his '82 280ZXT.
> The **** thing would pull the front wheels
> up! I don't know his name or anyway to reach
> him, but he had had Jim Wolf Tech do a lot
> of the work on the car. You might call them
> and see if they know any tricks. BTW, he was
> using an 8 drag slick.

> Good luck!!! You may want to buy stock in
> your favorite tire company considering you
> will be using them up!!! Hahaha, just
> kidding!!!

> Ian
Thanks Ian, I'm getting the poly bushings for the diff support bar (I don't know the real name for it) from Nissan Motorsports this weekend. I'm going to put them in on Sat and take it to the drags on Sunday, I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
361 Posts
> Thanks Ian, I'm getting the poly bushings
> for the diff support bar (I don't know the
> real name for it) from Nissan Motorsports
> this weekend. I'm going to put them in on
> Sat and take it to the drags on Sunday, I'll
> let you know what happens.

Tony,
Another area to look into is your shocks themselves, or struts if you will. It is a known problem on Toyota Supra's that if the struts were bad, wheel hop while spinning was especially bad. Check to see what kind of shape they are in, if they are bad, or even close, replace them with a good quality unit. Think about it this way, as your wheel starts hopping, the strut can help to control that movement. While it may not cure the problem, it should help. Another thought is tire pressure. It is hopping because it is grabbing and letting go. A change in tire pressure can reduce that tendancy.
-Bob Hanvey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.